Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Strange Binning Images - Defective Camera?  (Read 6502 times)

snovosel

Strange Binning Images - Defective Camera?
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »
I already sent Vince/Rui an email on this but while waiting to hear back from them I was hoping someone else might be able to provide some insight into sudden strange behavior I seem to be having with my 11000.  Attached is a sample image with the camera binned 4x4 that shows horizontal and vertical banding on the left with corresponding image streaking on the right.  Could this be a timing imbalance in the camera readout when binned?  Has anyone seen this before and if so have been able to repair via a software fix?  This is a camera that was returned to the UK for service repair and had both its power and main boards replaced just four months ago.

NickK

Re: Strange Binning Images - Defective Camera?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
Hmm I didn't see that at 4x4 binned with the 11000M when testing the OSX drivers (although they share little in code with the Windows drivers).

You've probably checked this (and I'm not saying it's the solution) - but what power supply are you using?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:16:19 pm by NickK »
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

snovosel

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
Nick, yes, I tried several different power sources, all to Atik 11k specs, same issue.

I've binned this camera before and never had the banding - this is new.  It appears to have started last Tuesday, Sept 17, judging by a review of recent subs.  It occurs at all binning levels except 1x1 (at least I do not see it on any of the 1x1 subs).

Hopefully I will hear back from Vince or Rui soon and that this is something that can be easily diagnosed and resolved.

snovosel

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »
Actually, I stand corrected.  I just pulled up a few 2x2 subs from June 20 and notice it there too.  I will see what I can find between the time I received the camera back from Vince late April.  It's rare for me to bin 4x4 and that's likely why I didn't notice it before (although to be honest I haven't really done much imaging at all during the past 4 months - only now with the cooler weather have I picked up the pace.  Part of that reason was related to an issue I had with my MX that was finally resolved this past weekend).