Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 320E Gain  (Read 8800 times)

cometboy

320E Gain
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »
I have a new 320E camera that we are using as a laboratory test unit.  We were trying to cross calibrate the camera with another of known efficiency and realized that we don't have the specs on the electrons/Data Unit!  There doesn't seem to be a way to set gain in the acquisition software.  I did a quick check using a flat field image with about 5000 D/pixel of bias subtracted flux where I determined the standard deviation within several different regions of interest on the chip and compared that with what one expects from Poisson statistics.  Based on this test I get a gain of between 0.13 and 0.17 electrons/DU.  This seems low to me, but I admit that my experience with the sensors used in this camera is very limited.   Does anyone out there know the actual gain?

Konihlav

Re: 320E Gain
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:02 am »
Hello,

I have never measured any Atik320 CCD camera so I can't tell from my database of flat/bias combinations. If you are interested in my findings, please provide (a download link for) couple of flats and couple of bias frames for my "noise analysis" which includes gain calculation. See some examples of my cameras on my blog.

I wonder if 320 really has readout noise even smaller than 314L+ :) (actually my wish is both high QE and low RN in order to do lucky imaging ;D)

all the best
Pavel