Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Images green with ATIK 383L+  (Read 10453 times)

raygjones

Images green with ATIK 383L+
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »
I have  just started using my ATIL 383L+.  Colorizing in Artemis RGB or MaxIM Dl all result in images that are mostly green.  I colorize after calibration using Bayer X:0 Y:1.

Anyone else have a similiar problem or ideas?

Ray Jones

rfdesigner

Re: Images green with ATIK 383L+
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:19:05 am »
The Bayer Matirx contains contains twice as many green pixels as either red or blue.  Debayering will end up giving you a very green image (I get this when I use astro software to debayer raw DSLR frames, nothing wrong with the camera or the software)

You need to adjust the white balance of the image.  Based just on the above, you'd think you need to multiply the red and blue channels by 2, but I've never found it to work out as simple as that, you'll need to experiment, so I suggest getting it close with images of things you're used to, like an image of your garden, once you have the balance roughly right then you can apply it to the astro images.

Konihlav

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:41:20 am »
Atik 383L+ is a mono CCD.

Atik 383LC+ is a color CCD. I advise to point the camera to red, green, blue light source (either paper or flashlight with color filter) and see which pixel is which. Then you adjust the X-Y offset accordingly.

Or it would be simpler if someone with 383LC+ tells you the settings :)

gdallmann

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:51 pm »
Hi Ray,
Assuming that you do have the colour CCD, I found that issue as well when I started out.  I don't use the same software you do, but in Nebulosity 2 I need to use Bayer matrix
offsets of X:1, Y:0 for images to debayer correctly.  In Deep Sky Stacker this corresponds to a Bayer matrix setting of GBGR.  I'm not sure if the X:1, Y:0 setting will be right in
Artemis or Maxim, because your settings of X:0 Y:1 gave a very blue cast to all my images in Nebulosity.
I determined the correct settings by taking images of M42 and systematically tried all possible Bayer matrix settings until the colour came out right.  You might need to do the same.

I'd also be interested to hear how your images come out after you solve this issue.  I'm having a hell of a time getting images out of this camera that are equal to what I was getting out
of the unmodified Canon 350d I upgraded from.