Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 420 monochrome ccd  (Read 6552 times)

dwesturner

420 monochrome ccd
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know the expected RGB weighting for this camera or is it heavily dependent on the type of filters used?

Thanks, Don

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
Re: 420 monochrome ccd
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:07:02 am »
It would be filter dependent. Astrodon claims close to a 1:1:1 weighting but from what I've read it's not quite so.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

Konihlav

Re: 420 monochrome ccd
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »
it is heavily dependent on filters and telescope used. It's like with parfocality - you may have parfocal filters (yes they really exist), but in praxis you never have parfocal system unless you are imaging with reflecting (mirror) telescope only - i.e. without any refracting element like focal reducer or flattener or coma corrector. So in real world, there doesn't exist a parfocal imaging setup.
Back to weight factors - Astrodon does have I-series for Kodak KAI detectors and E-series for Sony ICX and Kodak KAF detectors. I do own both sets as I own both types of CCD and the RGB weights are really close to 1:1:0.9-1.1, but it always depends on your skies and where you are imaging blue channel - wheter 50 degrees above horizon or lower where refraction occurs which kills the 1:1:1 TruBalance.