Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Connection problem with Atik One and Atik GP together  (Read 8811 times)

-Amenophis-

Connection problem with Atik One and Atik GP together
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:41 am »
hello  ;)

I can not connect my two cameras simultaneously MaximDL.
Indeed, when I connect the camera 1 (Atik one), I can not connect the camera 2 (Atik GP) for autoguiding.

It's the same problem on other software. Can not connect to camera 2 (Atik GP) on PHD2 and camera 1 (Atik One) in MaximDL.

Thank you in advance for your help.  :-\

rmorgan

Re: Connection problem with Atik One and Atik GP together
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:02:53 am »
Hi ,

I get the same problem using Sequence Generator Pro for the Atik One 6.0, and PHD2 for the Atik GP.

The Server doesn't seem to Serve!
Only one camera can connect at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Roger

rmorgan

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:57:27 am »
If it is any help, if I use a connection from the Atik GP to a USB hub then to the PC the Atik GP works fine. It connects to PHD2 without any problems. Bypassing the internal server seems to help.

Cheers

Roger

-Amenophis-

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:45 am »
so you did'nt use a internal hub in Atik One ?

Andy-w-h

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Did anybody get a solution to this problem? 

I can't get the two working together. 

In fact the GP seems INCREDIBLY sensitive as to when it works or it doesn't (via a USB hub).  If connected within a few meters then it's fine but at the end of a 10M USB extender cable then it rarely seems to work via a hub and only "mostly" works if connected directly to the extender cable.    Now if the GP would work via the One's USB hub .. all that problem would go away .. but sadly not it seems???

Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:49:22 pm »
I've been digging into this a bit, my setup is a 383L+ and an ART-16 connected to a 13 port hub, then a USB extender to my laptop.  I'm using SGP for the 383 and PHD2 for the ART-16, both using ASCOM.

This will connect and work but you need to be careful with setting it up.
  • Connect the camera to the hub, power on and then connect the hub to the extender and the extender to the PC.
  • Wait for the connections to be made.
  • Run the chooser to select the two cameras, one using the Atik Camera and the other the Atik Camera 2
  • Connect both cameras before starting any acquisition on either.

That seems to give a good connection.  I've been digging into the connections and if one camera is active connecting the second one can be fiddly.

BTW the maximum USB cable length is 5m after which you need an active extender.  I'm using a 3m cable from the cameras to the hub, then a 3m cable and a 5m active extender.

Chris

Andy-w-h

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:45:01 am »
Chris,

As you say, anything more that 5M needs an active extender.  Last night I had some success .. well it all worked for 6 hours but then lost the will to live. Although it would then re-connect in PHD2 and even show in Device Manager (Win8.1),  the GP refused to capture images.  I gave up at that point!

As of last night only one end of the extender cable was connected to a "high power" (1A vs 500 mA) usb port, I've just added a second powered hub the other end of the 10M cable - maybe it is just a power thing - which again goes back to why on earth doesn't the GP work off the One's USB port.  Most annoying.

Anyway for this morning, as a test, I've fired up PHD2 and Sequence Generator Pro and got them both capturing and I'll see if the extra powered hub helps.

and I bought the One 6 kit to simplify my setup .... doh

Chris

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 02:27:36 pm »
You will need to contact Atik Support about your Atik One hub issues,  I'm not sure how frequently they monitor this group.

Did my suggestions for how to select and connect the cameras help?

Chris

Andy-w-h

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »
Indeed it did Chris ...  I've plate solved on to the Heart nebula, kicked off the guiding and done my focusing already and it's still another hour 'til it's astronomically dark.

I'm not going to tempt fate before I have actually managed to take an image but the GP ran all day with the powered 1A USB ports each end.

Cue clouds that have seen this post and therefore are bound to be rolling in now! ;)