Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Leo Triplet with new Atik 460EX  (Read 13026 times)

GordonJ

Leo Triplet with new Atik 460EX
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:11:45 pm »
I'm new to deep sky imaging and have a lot to learn about processing. This shot was taken on the second night with my new 460EX.

15x5min Lights
Atik 460EX
WO Megrez 90
Artemis Capture/Nebulosity/Photoshop

bwa

Re: Leo Triplet with new Atik 460EX
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
Gordon,

I note you're using a WO Megrez 90.  I just ordered one.  Are you using a reducer/flattener with the scope?

bwa

GordonJ

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »
No reducer, the scope was at f6.9. When I've got the hang of things I will try wider shots with a reducer. I only got the camera last Friday, so it's early days still.  I have yet to try the camera on my C8. I do have a 6.3 reducer/ flattener for that.

Hope you enjoy your new Megrez. It will be slightly different from mine which is one of the original ones, before they changed the optical design and got rid of the L bracket. I really appreciate the quality and finish of the WO scopes.

bwa

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:19 pm »
It will be slightly different from mine which is one of the original ones, before they changed the optical design and got rid of the L bracket.

The one I ordered is off an astro auction mart and one of the original ones.  I believe the optics between old and new are identical.  The only difference is the original ones were labelled f/6.9 instead of the actual focal ratio of f/6.2; something to do with the way WO determined focal length?.  The focal length of both is about 560mm (not 621mm).  And, of course, the change in tripod mounting bracket.

I also like WO scopes.  I had a ZenithStar 80ED for a number of years; great little scope.  Of course there are lots of great scopes out there BUT every once in awhile you find one that is just a little better...

I have the ATIK 428Ex.  Works nicely with the C8 EdgeHD (and 0.75x reducer) and an Orion 8" f/4 Newtonian.

bwa

GordonJ

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:57 am »
Thanks for the clarification. Suddenly my scope is faster than I thought......