Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Infinity stacking problem with bright core DSO  (Read 4593 times)

dominique

Infinity stacking problem with bright core DSO
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »
Dear all,
At the moment I am using the beta version of the Infinity stacking software. This works fine and definitely more stable than the standard version. However if I want to focus on a bright deepsky object like M42 or even M81, the given FWHM is way too high as it takes the bright core of the DSO, resulting in a FWHM of >10. This gives problems for  accurate focussing and the FWHM stacking rejection criteria does not work anymore;  it rejects all frames as the bright core is seen as a oversized trailed  star. You can overrule this and stack all the incoming picture, but I like the option to reject really trailed pictures. Is there an option to overcome this issue?
On open star cluster the rejection based stacking works perfect resulting in very sharp final pictures.
Thanks,
Dominique

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
Re: Infinity stacking problem with bright core DSO
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:40 pm »
Hi Dominique,

The FWHM is supposed to discount large bright areas, such as the cores of galaxies. It's a bit of a balancing act though, and an area of code that often gets tweaked. I would be interested to see some of the images you have so that I can adjust the algorithms accordingly. If you could record an example of it happening and send the raw FITS files to ChrisG@atik-cameras.com I'd be happy to take a look at them and see what I can do.

Chris.