Atik Cameras

Author Topic: A lot of images?  (Read 4866 times)

huubke

A lot of images?
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:04 pm »
Has someone ever made pictures that have a few hours exposures times? Now, I only can find on the internet pictures made with the Infinity of a few minutes, sometimes a few hundred of a few seconds but that's still no longer than 15 minutes of so. Is it capable to do let's say 100 exposures of 2 minutes and get decent subs that are stacked and can be processed in some astrosoftware like Pixinsight. Should the absence of cooling be an obstruction to get decent images when doing a lot exposures of the maximum 2 minutes? Won't the chip be suffering from the heat?

Clear skies, Hubert

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: A lot of images?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:41:25 am »
Hi Hubert,

The lack of cooling isn't a problem at short exposures, so you could happily take short exposures all night and go on to post-process them in other astrosoftware.

I can't remember seeing hours worth of data in an Infinity images yet, but a couple of Dominique's images here http://forums.atik-cameras.com/index.php?topic=2511.msg5531#msg5531 add up to around 30 mins plus using 30s exposures.

Also, the 2 minute limit is only in the Infinity software, so you could use the camera in our Artemis Capture software to take longer exposures, but this is where the absence of cooling might become more of a problem - just how limiting it is would really depend on your ambient temperature.

I hope that helps!
Jo

huubke

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 06:36:28 pm »
Thanks Jo, that helps. I know about Dominique's pictures. They are very good. But I ask myself, why isn't there a Infinity with cooling?

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:22:24 pm »
You could almost argue there is - an Infinity with cooling would start to become quite similar to our 414ex!

The 414ex is slightly slower which is why it's less well-suited to video astronomy - but then speed is less of a concern when doing longer exposures, which also happens to be where the real benefits cooling come in to play  :)