Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Stacking  (Read 7114 times)

baldeliftman

Stacking
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:40:46 pm »
Hi two questions if I may I have just used my mono infinity on Jupiter for the first time and I am not able to stack the images ? also on the desk top picture you have advanced settings my settings only go up to show tool tips were as I have seen pictures of colour camera desk tops with a few more settings ie auto a line image is this correct ? many thanks 

StarMike

Re: Stacking
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:22 pm »
I had the same issue last night.  I assumed that since planetary uses such short exposure times, that my computer was not fast enough to stack images that fast.  Maybe someone from ATIK can chime in

Astrogate

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:41:04 pm »
Guy's, I would say that the Atik Infinity software was developed for deep sky objects mainly and it's stacking feature does a star registration. Since there are no stars when viewing the planets or moon, how can you expect it stack? I am not sure why you would need to stack a planet for live observing unless you are trying to combat the seeing conditions. If this is so, the software would have to incorporate an overlay method of stacking for planets & the moon.

Chris A

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:23:02 am »
Hi Everyone,

As Astrogate points out, the camera is intended for use on deep sky objects and not planets (or the moon). The reason for this is that the stacking relies on a field of stars in order to align the images. If you are confident in the tracking of your mount, you can always try unchecking the 'Calc Image Movement' option in advanced options. But I would advice against this, as the results are unlikely to be very good.

As for the missing options, are you sure you have the most up to date version of the software? You can download the update from here:

http://www.atik-cameras.com/news/atik-infinity-software-update-and-beta-3-drivers/

Chris.

dominique

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:38 am »
Dear all,
 the same stacking "problem "also occurs if you are stacking DSO with for example a bright core like M81, M51, The software sees these cores as stars and the allowed FWHM restriction is easily overrun after a few stacks. As a result the software does not stack the incoming frames anymore as the DSO core expands the  5 to 10"FWHM I put in. Then I simply stack without any star alignment, my AZ-EQ6 can easily take up to >1 min exposures after good polar alignment.
Would it be possible to exclude these bright core as measure for stacking??
As for stacking Moon and Jupiter: record the individual fits (via record session) for each and stack them afterwards in a program like Autostakkert!2. I have done it and it works
Cheers,
Dominique

StarMike

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 01:12:11 pm »
Thanks, that is a good idea Dom

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:19 am »
Hi dominique,

Thanks for your observations. The infinity software should discount any large bright objects from the FWHM calculation. That way, galaxy cores and the center of start clusters shouldn't interfere with this value. Also, the FWHM is only calculated on the incoming image and not the stacked image. As a result, I would be eager to get hold of some data to investigate this problem further. If you could record an example of this happening (using the record function in infinity) and then send me the resulting FITS files (ChrisG@atik-cameras.com) then I'll take a look and see what's happening.

Chris.

donboysail

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:08 pm »
Quite a few of us Infinity users and viewers of our broadcasts have commented on the FWHM jumping to higher values when on brighter objects and globular clusters.

Check out my YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcKeRVStW0

Start with globular cluster having an FWHM of 25 located at time of 1h:34m  and then goto a starfield at 3h:11m where FWHM is 3.5.

Don