Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Fastest frame rate available with the ATiK Infinity??  (Read 5057 times)

Merlin66

Fastest frame rate available with the ATiK Infinity??
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:58:32 am »
I see from the specs that an exposure of 1/1000sec is possible, but it also says the frame rate is 2/3 fps....
I'm looking at a spectroheliograph application which needs short exposures AND fast frame rates.
What is the maximum frame rate?
Is ROI possible?

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
Re: Fastest frame rate available with the ATiK Infinity??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:11:18 am »
Hi There,

Thanks for the post. In answer to your question, there are two different things going on here. First, there is exposure time, this is how long the camera allows light into the sensor, and this can be as short as 1ms (0.001s). Once the camera has taken the image though, it needs to start reading the image off the sensor. This takes a fixed amount of time, but is significantly longer than the 1ms exposure time. The software then needs to read the image from the camera, which adds a little more time to this part of the process. All in all, this means that although the exposure time can be short, the maximum frames per second is about 2-3. If you want faster frame rates and short exposures, then the Atik Titan or GP cameras might be a better option.

I hope this helps.

Chris.