Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Artemis with Atik 460EX fails to connect on start-up  (Read 11676 times)

jcinpv

Artemis with Atik 460EX fails to connect on start-up
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »
I have downloaded the latest Atik Core software.
I have Sequence Generator Pro (SGP). It can connect to my Atik 460EX.
The Artemis software does not connect. Every time I try, I get an error message: Failed to connect to camera.
I have uninstalled the software, re-installed it, re-booted Windows 10, nothing helps.
When I first got the camera and downloaded the software, Artemis worked.
Initially, SGP would see "Atik Universal" as the only option that would connect to the camera. Now it only sees "Atik Camera" and "Atik Camera 2", and they both connect to SGP.

I really need some ideas here about how to resolve this.

John C
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:49:11 am by jcinpv »

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
Re: Artemis with Atik 460EX fails to connect on start-up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:38 pm »
Hi John,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. It's unusual for the camera to connect to other software, but not to ours. I have a few questions to help get to the bottom of this.

1) Are you using the latest 'normal' version, or the BETA?
2) If you open device manager, find your camera in the list and then right click -> properties. What does it say next to 'manufacturer'?

Chris.

jcinpv

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:10:58 am »
I have tried both the Beta and "normal" versions. My last attempt was to uninstall everything and reinstall the normal version.

The manufacturer for the Atik 460ex in Device Manager is "Atik Cameras". The device is working properly.

I have the latest version of ASCOM installed. 6.2.

I can access the camera with three other apps. Nebulosity 4, SharpCap 2.8, and Sequence Generator Pro.

John C.
Prescott Valley, AZ

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:59 am »
Hi John,

It looks like the drivers are setup properly, and the fact that other programs are working is encouraging. I suspect the problem might be ArtemisCapture itself. If you send me an email at ChrisG@atik-cameras.com then I'll reply with a new version of Capture to try.

Chris.

jcinpv

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »
I installed all the software on a different machine and everything works. So I need to focus on what is causing Artemis to not work on the laptop. Sorry to bother.

John C

jcinpv

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:54:18 pm »
This is actually caused by having the Display settings set to open with the app along with setting DirectX in Windows. I discovered this by reading another thread here that complained about Artemis crashing when Display settings was opened. That was with using VMWare, not Parallels.

Using the tip in the other thread I tried everything possible with regard to graphics preferences. I was able to them open Artemis by disabling DirectX, but Artemis continued to crash when opening Display settings. My MacBook Pro has a retina display. My Mac Mini does not. Artemis works in Win 10 under Parallels on the Mac Mini.

I copied the Win 10 VM from the Mini to the MacBook Pro and the problem does not exist there. But I did have to change the Advanced graphics preferences to disable DirectX in Parallels.

Artemis used to work on the MacBook Pro with the original Win 10, but I have added a lot of other Astronomy software in Win 10 on the MacBook Pro and somewhere along the line Artemis broke.

John C

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:53 am »
Hi John,

I've been on holiday for the last week, but I'm back now. I've just sent you an email and a link via dropbox. Could you let me know if you've received them as it looks like my previous email didn't make it through.

Thanks

Chris

jcinpv

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:25:05 pm »
I got your previous email. It was stuck in my junk folder, like this one. I’ve got you added to my contacts now so it won’t happen again.

For some reason when I open Artemis (the original version, not your updated version that you just sent me) in one Virtual Machine (VM) of Windows 10 under Parallels on my MacBook Pro (running OS X 10.11.5), it insists on opening up with both Display Options and Exposure Settings open. With Display open, the app crashes. In another VM it opens without Display or Exposure open, but when I open Display the app crashes.

Other people using VMWare complained about this same problem and their solution was to turn off accelerated graphics. I have turned off DirectX (3D Acceleration) in both VMs, and that didn’t help. I got a Beta version of Parallels 12, and that didn’t change anything.

For me, if I turn off DirectX in Parallels, then my Starry Night Pro 7 won’t run.

Next problem: Using the files you sent me via Dropbox, I’m not sure what to do with them. I uninstalled my current installation of Artemis and copied your new files to my Desktop and executed the app, but it does not connect to the camera. The good news is that I can open Display Options without the app crashing, and that is with DirectX enabled.

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »
Hi John,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you've got the software up and running. As for the connection issue, could you tell me the following:

1) Did you install the BETA version or the normal version?
2) In device manager -> Find your camera -> Right click -> Properties. What does it say next to manufacturer?

Chris.

jcinpv

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:13 am »
Hi John,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you've got the software up and running. As for the connection issue, could you tell me the following:

1) Did you install the BETA version or the normal version?
2) In device manager -> Find your camera -> Right click -> Properties. What does it say next to manufacturer?

Chris.

I installed the Core software, not the Beta.
The camera manufacturer is "Atik Cameras"

I reinstalled Artemis Capture (2.25) and copied your files into the Artemis folder. Everything is working! Thanks.

John C

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
Hi John,

I'm glad you got it working. Let me know if you have any more problems.

Chris.

randyclark

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:44 am »
I got similar issues when doing 360 vr video. I had the same solution.

Artrip

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 02:33:31 pm »
I got similar great success with Decaduro when doing 360 vr video. I had the same solution.

What was the solution?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:50:41 pm by Artrip »