Atik Cameras

Author Topic: EFW2 Thread Mistake  (Read 3984 times)

nitehawk

EFW2 Thread Mistake
« on: April 13, 2016, 03:48:54 am »
I managed to figure out what I had done wrong, so this is more of a public service announcement so that everyone else out there can avoid the mistake I made.

I had put some new RGB filters into my EFW2, then threaded it on to the rotator of my WO Star71. After powering up, the wheel made some noise, but I was not concerned about it.When connecting via ASCOM or FilterWheelRunner, it was only showing 5 of my 8 filters as selectable, even though the wheel was now full. Additionally, some ASCOM programs would list the wheel as "moving" even after it stopped moving.

I removed the EFW2 from the scope and powered it on again, and everything worked fine. It was only when it was threaded on to my Star71 that I was having problem.

Eventually I realized the problem. My new (to this filter wheel, at least) Astrodon filters have a much thicker retaining ring than my other filters. The Star71 adapter threads far enough in that the wheel would get stuck when moving... the first of the new filters was in position 6, so the wheel could not advance beyond position 5, thus it was only reporting that 5 filters were installed.

After removing the offending filters, everything was working fine. I will need to come up with some sort of shim so that the Star71 rotator fits snugly, but not so far in that it interferes with the wheel.

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: EFW2 Thread Mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »
Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers
Steve