Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Original CB or not?  (Read 6764 times)

donboysail

Original CB or not?
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »
While experimenting last night with 'Use Orig CB' (color balance from original version) I noticed that it could be applied at any time and that when applied it reduced the red channel and increased the blue, but interestingly it sharpened the image slightly.  Those who were watching me as I broadcast made the same comment as to the sharpness improving with the Orig CB checked.

Now there was a mix opinion as to which color balance was liked.  I tend to favor the original CB and some favored the current CB.  In all truth neither one is spot on.  It still could use some improvement.

I've noticed several users images that appear to have a strong golden hue and very little in color variation on objects like M82, but I'm not experiencing that.

I also tried to use my Astronomics UHC filter which I have successfully used with other color cameras but with the Infinity I just got images and stars that were heavily biased toward the red, totally unusable.   However, my Idas LPS P2 plays nicely with the Infinity software attesting to it's near neutral color balance.

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: Original CB or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:49:36 pm »
Hi Don,

Thanks for the feedback and we'll bear it in mind with any future adjustments. As you note yourself, the subjectivity of the colour balance makes it incredibly difficult to set, so at least now you've got a choice of presets and the ability to manually adjust the balance to your liking, and we'll keep listening to what people prefer.

I'm interested to hear what you say about the sharpening. I can't see any clear reason why this would be happening, so if it's a repeatable occurrence, I'd be interested to see some screenshots.

Jo

donboysail

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:16:58 pm »
Jo,

I can post some example images to show effects of the two CBs, but when I try and attach images it doesn't take and when I use insert image it doesn't appear in the preview. So what am I not doing?

Don

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »
Let me look into this - I'll try to attach a test image here for starters..

Jo

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46:11 pm »
So the file seems to attach fine, and for a jpeg...

Also, it's not giving any indication it's attached in the preview, but attaches in the posts. I'll see why this is, but in the meantime, is it that you post and the attachment is missing, or not posting as the attachment's missing at the preview stage?

Jo

donboysail

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »
Jo,

I get no confirmation that an image is attached when using the Attachment function. 

And like you when I insert an image it doesn't appear in the preview.

Don