Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Color Balance - Not according to Nebulosity  (Read 6657 times)

donboysail

Color Balance - Not according to Nebulosity
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:53 am »
I recently have been looking at the color balance using the Atik Infinity camera with the Infinity software.  This comparison was based on the auto color balance setting and taking two images with Original Color Balance on and with it off.  I then ran them through the Color Balance function in Nebulosity 2 where the end results for both gave the same results.  Here are these three images using M51. Left M51 with Orig CB on.  Middle M51 Orig CB off  Right M51 color balance corrected in Nebulosity 2.

donboysail

Re: Color Balance - Not according to Nebulosity
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:17:40 pm »
I just ran M51 through PhotoShop Element Color Correction and got the same result.   I posted a similar thread on Cloudy Nights forum and asked for folks to tell us which one they preferred and most are coming back and saying they prefer the color corrected one is their 1st choice and the second is the one without the Orig CB.

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:15 pm »
Definitely interesting results and we are going to look again at readjusting the colour balance - with things like this where there's not a strict right and wrong answer, it's great to have feedback so we can keep tweaking things.

Out of interest, with your colour corrected images in Nebulosity and PS, are you only altering the colour balance, or is there any additional processing taking place? Are these results replicable with that particular image by manually adjusting the colour balance within the Infinity software?

Jo

donboysail

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:13:09 pm »
Jo,

The images are captured in the infinity software and no attempt is made to alter the color balance.  It is all left to the auto adjust function and also if 'Orig CB' is chosen.  The images are saved as .png.

The results using Nebulosity and PhotoShop Elements is identical and no adjustments are made in these two programs, I just clicked the Auto White Balance or the Auto Color Correct function.

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:45:50 am »
Thanks Don. This is definitely something for us to explore, Chris is currently surrounded by cross-platform drivers, but as soon as those are in hand I'll see if we can address this.

Jo