Atik Cameras

Author Topic: question,atik 2hs  (Read 7581 times)

thomlocke

question,atik 2hs
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »
i hope that sombody can answer my question...i bought a  atik 2hs planary camera . brand new, a few years  back... it has never been used,  due to fact i had to move away. i am now  ready to  rty using this camera for  planatry and  solar  imaging..  its still a great camera!..  my question is,, how  does one  attach it  to  modern computer... this camera needed  a  printer port?.. i  so not have a printer port on my lap top, toshiba... how would  one  get around this?. if it is possible?... i think that adirondack astronmy,  the place i bought it, is out of  bussiness,, along with most of the state...  thanks,, tom...

jsbianco

Re: question,atik 2hs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:03 am »
Thom,

What about a USB to Serial converter.  I use this with my newer laptops that no longer have serial ports.  If you have to convet serial DB9 to DB23 let me know.  I probably have some conversion connectors in my old parts supply.

Joseph
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:07:47 am by jsbianco »
Joseph Bianco
AP Mach1
Televue 85
TEC 6" Mak
Atik 383L+ OSC
SBIG STF-8300M with FW8 filter wheel

petervde

Re: question,atik 2hs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:51 pm »
Hello Tom,

I used to work with an Atik 2HS camera and I loved it !

If you will be using it solely for planetary and solar work, the serial cable is not needed. The 2HS also has a usb-connection for short exposures and hence for planetary work. The serial cable is used for longer exposures for deep-sky work.
A usb-to-serial convertor is then needed.

Peter