Atik Cameras

Author Topic: EFW2 Ascom Problem: FW reports "Moving" even when filter is set  (Read 9055 times)

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
I installed the new core software yesterday including the ASCOM driver for EFW2.  I use SGP for image capture.  Last night I ran into a problem where the filter wheel was called to move to a different filter by SGP and the filter wheel moved to the correct filter but SGP kept reporting "moving" until finally the sequence aborted because the FW timed out.  I believe this is an ASCOM driver issue since SGP just polls the driver for status.  Any thoughts?

Unfortunately the problem seems quite random and it is hard to reproduce consistently.  If my memory is correct this also happend (very rarely) with the old core software.

Ajay_Narayanan

Re: EFW2 Ascom Problem: FW reports "Moving" even when filter is set
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »
I do see this as well. I have not timed the delay. I connect the filter wheel manually by clicking the button on the sequencer dialog. It says "Moving..." for a while. If in that time I get impatient and click disconnect and connect, or clock the "settings" option, I get an ASCOM error. If I m patient, the filter wheel eventually responds, in perhaps a minute. The correct filter shows up in the docked filter wheel module of SGP. I will say that I have only imaged with the L filter and have not attempted automated filter changes during a sequence. That could pose a problem.

I wonder why we have not seen more reports. Is it because fewer people are doing automated filter changes as through SGP? I am a little short of time as I am on my way out to a dark sky site. I'll help trouble shoot after I return. I've attached what log files and images of error dialogs I have at the moment. The ASCOM Atik logfile does not have any entries related to the filterwheel.

In the short term, the solution for me is to leave the filter wheel alone while its moving -perhaps increase the delay even more.

ATTN: Chris Golden. Please see the following post on SGP forums for log files.
http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/atik-efw2-fails-to-report-move-complete-sgp-failed-to-notify/3875

The ASCOM Error dialog is below:

Ajay

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »
I am seeing this problem too, not only in SGPro but also it throwing an "index out of range"  errors when trying to get into settings in the Atik Filter Wheel runner and into Ascom Properties in SkyX. Only really started to see issues when the latest drivers (version 2.2?)

Have tried it direct to computer and through a hub. No difference.

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »
I'd like to bring this thread up to speed from the SGP forum.  It appears at least a few other people are experiencing the same issue.

I have been in contact with Vince about this and he has been very responsive.  I'm waiting on a new filter wheel elastic band from Atik.

In the meantime, one "fix" that seemed to at least cut down on the frequency of the problem was to set a filter delay in SGP that basically pauses everything for xxx seconds after a filter wheel move. 

Even so, after several nights of imaging were interrupted by this problem, I reverted back to the old core software (the pre-July 5 drivers) and since then I have had two full nights of imaging with SGP changing the filter after each exposure, so the EFW2 is getting a workout.  The problem is so random that  this could just be coincidence, but so far the old core software seems to work well.

Ajay_Narayanan

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:08:08 pm »
The problem with the older core software was that the camera temperature was not being reported correctly. So going back is not an option for those of us that also have an Atik Camera (383L+ in my case) in addition to the EFW2. I installed the Aug 9 version and the filter wheel changes seem snappy for the few time s that I tried on the bench and not in an actual imaging situation. There are a few issues of stability. If I press the "setup"  icon before the wheel is attached there is an exception. Next if the wheel is connecteced and you press setup within SGP, I get the Atik FilterWheelRunner dialog. If I press setup within that dialog, I get another error. I have sent the details to Vince via private email.

Ajay

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 10:48:36 pm »
I wasn't aware of the camera temp problem in the old software.  I only have the EFW2 and no camera.

I've now had two MORE full nights of imaging on the old driver and no problems.  So it seems to me that something must have changed with the newer core software to introduce this instability in the EFW2.  I had problems with the July versions of the core software but have not tried the most recent (August 9).  At this point I'm not going to change anything as it seems to be working fine now. 

cmassa

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:45:09 am »
I have had the same issue more and more lately. When I try to connect to the EFW2 in SGP I just get the "moving" message and it never goes away. I also get errors in TheSkyX when trying to connect. I have to restart the filter wheel and computer multiple times to finally get it to connect and work correctly. I have it on it's own USB cable to the computer so I know it's not the problem with a hub.

Chris

Ajay_Narayanan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 02:38:49 am »
I have been troubleshooting this. Found a few clear problems that Chris Golden has a handle on. There may be a new release soon.

Ajay