Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Mono Infinity and RGB imaging  (Read 4300 times)

scpanish

Mono Infinity and RGB imaging
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:44:20 am »
Will or does the Infinity mono software support taking RGB images using a filter wheel? 

Kudos on the software, it is working well and very easy to use. 

thanks,

Steve

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: Mono Infinity and RGB imaging
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:59 am »
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you like the software and that it's working well for you.

Unfortunately that's not something the Infinity software supports, and although it's on our discussion list, it's not likely to happen for quite awhile, if at all.

One option is to use the camera with a filter wheel in our Capture imaging software, but I appreciate this is then more traditional astrophotography than video astronomy.

I'm sorry it's not better news!

Thanks,
Jo

arenosa

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:12:44 am »
Hi Jo,

I just read your answer on this question right after reading this post:

https://www.atik-cameras.com/news/mono-colour/

and I am confused now.  ???

I am considering to get the Atik Infinity Mono because it was my understanding that it was possible to use a filter wheel and  RGB (Red, Green, Blue) filters or narrowband filters Hydrogen alpha (Ha), Oxygen III (OIII), Sulphur II (SII) Hydrogen Beta (Hb) Nitrogen II (NII) ?

Could you explain further or point me somewhere I can understand this?

Thanks a lot

bwa

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:06:46 am »
Hi Jo,

I just read your answer on this question right after reading this post:

https://www.atik-cameras.com/news/mono-colour/

and I am confused now.  ???

I am considering to get the Atik Infinity Mono because it was my understanding that it was possible to use a filter wheel and  RGB (Red, Green, Blue) filters or narrowband filters Hydrogen alpha (Ha), Oxygen III (OIII), Sulphur II (SII) Hydrogen Beta (Hb) Nitrogen II (NII) ?

Could you explain further or point me somewhere I can understand this?

Thanks a lot
The mono ATIK Infinity camera does not have a Bayer filter over the sensor so is not capable of taking color images.  Everything output by the camera is greyscale...

To get a color image of the mono ATIK camera one uses color filters in front of the sensor and processes the images taken with each filter to color.  Example:  one imaging session with a Red filter, one with a Green filter, one with a Blue filter.  One then aligns all of the subs and stacks each of the individual RGB sessions.  One normally also shoots a Luminance session with only a UV/IR filter.  These subs are also aligned to remainder and stacked.

At this point you have four aligned greyscale images, one for each of LRGB.  You then use processing software to assign the Luminance to the Luminance stack, color Red to the Red stack, Green to the Green stack and Blue to the Blue, adjust the intensity of each and, voilĂ , you have a color image.

I use PixInsight and/or ImagesPlus for mono pre/postprocessing but people do the processing in Photoshop and a number of other software products.

Clear skies!

bwa