Atik Cameras

Author Topic: adhoc network?  (Read 14535 times)

astro_1

adhoc network?
« on: September 09, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
I understand that the AtikAir is meant to connect to an existing network. But I think some of us users would like to use this in the field with our laptop but where there is no network. Is there a way to have the pi setup as an adhoc network? and have the AtikAir software connect to that directly(but wirelessly)?

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
Re: adhoc network?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
Hi Astro_1,

This is not something I have tried myself, but I think it should be possible. I'm sure if you google it you'll be able to find out how to do it. If you do, I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

Chris.

astro_1

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:45:12 pm »
Thanks ChrisGolden for the login info.
I have found some procedures for setting up an adhoc network on pi. But I am no linux guru so it may take a little bit to adapt.
And then not sure how the AtikAir software will behave or even work with it.
If I can get anywhere with it I will post.

Jeff

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:00:39 am »
Hi Jeff,

Let me know how you get on. My advice to start with would be to install Raspian Jessie on your SD card and then follow the advanced setup to get things working. The advantage here is that you'll have a user interface for your raspberry pi (which I find a lot easier then the command line). You can download it from here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Once you've got atik air installed on the pi, and have your network setup, you'll need to find out the IP address of your raspberry pi and then enter it into the 'Set Remote IP' option on AtikAir (you don't need to 'Find Pi' in this situation).

Feel free to email me: ChrisG@atik-cameras.com with any questions.

Chris

astro_1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:59:56 pm »
Sure wish Atik would add an adhoc or peer-to-peer option to their  Atik-Air image/app

I managed to get an ad-hoc network with dhcp server running on the Atik-Air pi image. The dhcp server I installed isc-dhcp-server.

The network seems to work. as in my laptop  sees the ad-hoc network, connects and is given an ip address. But the Atik-Air app fails to find the pi? even when manually setting the ip. The pi/adhoc network sees a connection to my laptop, from my laptop I can ping the pi.

Is their a way to tell the Atik-Air service what network to use? or something along those lines?

again, the reason for wanting to do this is when you are in the field their is no network available.

astro_1

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:42 pm »
I am wondering if an Atik camera has to be connected/detected on the pi first before the client software can see the pi remotely?

Currently at work so I dont have my camera to hook up. Just noticed the AtikAirService failing to start on the pi.

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:24 am »
Hi Jeff,

Looks like you've made some progress here. I think your last comment is the most significant though, if the AtikAir Service isn't running on the Pi, then AtikAir can't connect. Can you start the AtikAir Service from bash and then send me the output. If it's crashing, for example, there might be some clues as to why.

You don't need to have a camera connected for the AtikAir app to connect to the pi, but you will need the ArtemisHscService running on the Pi in order for it to work. Even if the AtikAir app isn't working (because the AtikAirSerive isn't running on the Pi) you should still be able to connect to a camera if you point AtikAir to the correct IP address, select remote, then start up a program (i.e. capture).

By the way, there is a new version of the installer on our website, we've improved the AtikAir App, so it might be worth installing that.

Chris.

astro_1

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:04:47 am »
Hi Chris

Yes I did notice the updated Atik-Air app. Is the image updated as well?

Anyway, I did install the updated version. And the AtikAir app does find my pi's adhoc network.  :) Will be trying it with an infinity camera soon.

If that all works I want to be able to recreate my actions from scratch and have it work before documenting anything here.

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:12 am »
Hi Jeff,

That's great news! I'm glad you've got it working and I'm eager to hear what you have done. The AtikAir image hasn't changed, just the AtikAir app. However, there was a bug in the previous installer which meant that the AtikAir app wouldn't always restart on startup. I've fixed this now and am currently uploading the latest version (4.1.0.3) to our website. I'd download the latest again later to make sure you're up to date.

Chris.

astro_1

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »
Thanks Chris for the update.

I have run into some other issues. I guess starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has decided to limit/restrict access to adhoc networks. I was trying to test the full setup on my laptop which is running Windows 10. And ran into the issues they describe of not being able to connect.
Their are some hoops to jump through to get windows 8 or 10 to see and connect adhoc. And then there are some possibilities of not all network chips even supporting adhoc mode.

I will keep plugging away at it. Maybe if adhoc mode does not work, maybe setting it up as an access point would make a difference, at least to windows 8 & 10.

Jeff

astro_1

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »
Just an update. I am currently pursuing setting up the RPi 3 as an access point without concern for it actually getting out to the internet.
On a side note for those looking to setup remote access to your equipment. I have read about some people using an Intel Compute stick with a powered USB hub to connect their various hardware to it. Then running RDP or similar to access the Intel Stick PC from the comfort of inside their home etc..
But they are also trying to run the drivers and software on this 2Gb windows 10 Stick PC. What I have done in testing is use the RPi 3 running standard raspian linux for the pi and a piece of software called virtual USB by virtualhere. In short you run the server version of virtual USB on the pi to share USB devices on the network, an then run the client version on your windows, mac or linux desktop keeping your astronomy software on your laptop/desktop. Basically turning the pi into a USB sharing device.

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you make any more progress, it'll be great if you manage to figure this out, and I'm sure many others will want to do this.

Chris

astro_1

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »
update: with this latest update to AtikAir resolving the issue of Infinity not loading( I was really running in circles), I believe I have the RPi 3 running as a non-internet enabled wifi access point. My laptop running AtikAir sees the RPi3, connects, accepts the password, gets an ip address. The Infinity software loads and connects to the camera and seems to be working as in the finder mode is capturing images, although I am not currently attached to a telescope.
What I need to do is try the linux configuration edits on the AtikAir image that Atik-Cameras provide, though not entirely necessary.

Chris G: Is their any issues with a user making available edited config files/mods to your AtikAir image? I dont want to violate any copyright laws.

Also, I am sure there are some Linux gurus out there that could put together the correct mods in no time. So please dont laugh at what I am trying to do, I really do not know Linux on this level.

Jeff

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 11:07:25 am »
Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you've got it working, well done. As far as we're concerned, there are no copyright restrictions and we actively encourage people to modify and share their additions.

Chris.

astro_1

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »
progress: So far I have not been able to get my access point configs to work on the AtikAir Pi image. But it is working on the noobs 2.0 image.
So I hope, within a few days, to be able to put together a pdf file of instructions on what I did to make this work. At least for anyone wanting to try this and be able to wirelessly connect to their Atik cameras in the field where they have no network.  :)

Jeff