Atik Cameras

Author Topic: File conversion Fits to video, saving "broadcasts" offline  (Read 5673 times)

spacejunkobs

File conversion Fits to video, saving "broadcasts" offline
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:11:02 pm »
I was reading the manual (and may have missed something) but

"YouTube will then automatically process the broadcast and make it available as an MP4 video"

So, If im not online at the time(for instance out in the middle of nowhere) What would I need to do to have video to upload when i got back to civilization?

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: File conversion Fits to video, saving "broadcasts" offline
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:55:27 am »
Hi there,

The broadcast feature only works while you are connected to the internet, but there are a couple of ways you could record a video  offline.

One is to record your session as FITS files and then replay it later and use the native broadcast feature on the replay, or...

Because you will also have Open Broadcaster installed along with the Infinity software, you can use that directly to record a screen capture during your session, no internet necessary, and upload the video when you're back in civilization. This would probably be my first choice, personally.

We have talked briefly about adding a native, offline, video recording feature before - if it's something a lot of people would be interested in, we could add it to our list?

I hope that helps,
Jo

spacejunkobs

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:24 am »
I didnt pay attention to Open Broadcaster when i was testing the software out. That looks like it might do the trick.

Im still a little confused.  I heard one non Atik Employee- (but salesman of atik cameras) swear up and down that there is a setting in infinity to do this offline under some "save" type function.  He may have been referencing ALL software to include OB, but it sounded like he was talking about Infinity only.

I got am email back from Atik, and he wasnt aware of anything?

So still a little confused, but the OB does appear to do what I was hoping  but I do think it would be nicer if it was part of the infinity software with a simple tree   "save session---> save as ------> video format (Mpeg, avi, etc) -->enter filename" with the ability to have defaults so "save session --> video default"  "enter file name"

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »
I've always found OBS very good for screen capture videos when using it for other things so I'm assuming it should work just as well for capturing your video astronomy sessions!

I'm sorry to hear you've been getting conflicting advise. I wonder if the non-Atik advice was thinking of the record feature, which does essentially mean you can playback a session, but as each image within the Infinity software rather than as true video. I wonder if we need to make that clearer somehow.

So yes, to clarify, the Infinity software can't record true videos at the moment, but we'll add it to the suggestions list as I agree it would be a useful feature.

I'm not sure if I'm making things clearer or less so, but I hope it's of some help

Jo