Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Infinity Colour Camera Filter Choice?  (Read 4294 times)

spooninspace

Infinity Colour Camera Filter Choice?
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:13:39 am »
I am interested in attempting the Horsehead, among other similar targets, this winter and was wondering if there was any particular filter which would be recommended for use with the colour Infinity camera?
Would an H-alpha work well, or perhaps another type has produced good results?

Thanks
Ian   

roelb

Re: Infinity Colour Camera Filter Choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:36:53 am »
I'm using the Astronomik CLS-CCD filter.
With this filter the red colour is prominent.

bwa

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:00:54 am »
Both the mono and color Infinity cameras have very good Ha response.

With both Infinities I find simply shooting with a UV/IR filter works well.  An Ha filter also works well on both cameras but does require about 4x the exposure.  If you're using an Ha filter on the color Infinity, I suggest only using the Red channel; green and blue don't contain any useful data.

bwa

SonnyE

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:10:24 pm »
I'm rather limited in my filter choices do to quality issues.
But, I did do some correction in the past by buying higher quality filters.
To date, the Baader Neodymium (Moon and Sky Glow) has been the best for me and my light pollution. Even better results than the open spot in my filter wheel.
And I tapped into my Baader HA7nm filter a bit. But still learning just to run the camera. So trying to stay very basic for now.
All of my other filters are of questionable quality in my opinion, because they were inexpensive, and/or package deal filters.
But so far, for my Light Polluted backyard, the Neodymium has proven it's worth. It seems to be helping the detail as well.

But one of the things I personally like about a color camera is that it comes with a full compliment of filters I never have to worry about. My add-on filters are just for experimenting and light pollution issues.

theoatc

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:31 pm »
quick question : how much is min exposure time ,using a ha filter ? i am on nexstar evo 8 on alt az..so exposure time over 1 min is difficult, even if infinity software does good job eliminating the rotation