Atik Cameras

Author Topic: ATIK Mono Infinity Testing  (Read 10193 times)

bwa

ATIK Mono Infinity Testing
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:56:50 am »
I've had a mono Infinity for a couple of months and have been testing the camera and software.  A few comments:

- The Infinity software has been fabulous.  I've been running it on a Win 10 laptop and haven't had it crash even once over the span of several dozen imaging sessions.  It has also performed flawlessly for live alignment and stacking.  I've used competing software that has been very frustrating in this capacity; not so ATIK's software.  Well written, simple to use and it works!!

- The camera's sensitivity is excellent.  I've used it with LRGB and narrowband filters with great results (at least in my opinion).

- The original concept of keeping Infinity exposures under 120 sec, (2 minutes) has not been a limitation since I've never gone beyond a 60 sec. exposure to this point, and the software does allow exposures in excess of 120 sec. with the click of a checkbox.

- The dynamic range of the camera is superb.  It is seldom I can image something with the brightness range of the Orion nebula in one shot.  With the Infinity I can!

- I also own and use an ATIK mono 428Ex camera and have some experience with mono image processing; however, I've found I am becoming more and more attached to using the Infinity software's interactive histogram for the initial stretch of live stacked images.  Simply select Full Range and move the median slider to display the result wanted; no black or white clipping and results to taste.  I then save this result for the filter being used and move on to the next filter's imaging session.  Quick, accurate and easy!  This "preprocessing" makes postprocessing in PixInsight and Lightroom a snap!

- Based on my experience with the Infinity I will be selling the competing product and used the Infinity solely.  In fact I've come to like the Infinity so much I may be tempted to sell the 428Ex as well...

- A couple things would be nice in a future release of the Infinity software.  1) The ability to drive the ATIK filterwheel, 2) Being able to use the Infinity software with other ATIK cameras.

A well thought out and executed product!

My testing album of images can be found at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskPsE6Z1

One of my favorite results to this point is attached.

bwa

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:03:18 am by bwa »

StarMike

Re: ATIK Mono Infinity Testing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »
I totally agree with you.  My Mono infinity does great with the filters.  I did this one in HaRGB.  I clipped the black a little but will fix that next time around

StarMike

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:22 pm »
Also captured this in Ha

scpanish

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:36:45 pm »
Nice results!  I too bought the mono camera with the intent of trying LRGB, but I have to tool up for that.  Meanwhile, do either of you see vertical banding (see the attached photo of Horsehead) similar to what I'm getting?  I am trying to determine if this is normal or a detector/electronics issue (while my camera is still in warranty).

The Horsehead picture is stretched to be fairly light, and the banding is obvious on the left side.  But even when the stretch makes a dark background, the banding is still evident.  I'll do another comment and include a dark photo to show that. 

Presumably a "flat" would allow this to be subtracted if doing standard imaging procedure, but I was hoping to be able to get away from that.  BTW I use short exposures (usually 2 to 5 sec) to avoid rotation from my AZ mount.  I will move to a GEM to get away from that limitation.

Steve

scpanish

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »
Here is a darker photo (M78) showing the same banding on the left as the previous post.  Much more difficult to see given the very dark background, but still there.  Captured same night, two days ago, temperature was about 20 deg. F.

Steve

bwa

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:38:45 am »
Meanwhile, do either of you see vertical banding (see the attached photo of Horsehead) similar to what I'm getting?  I am trying to determine if this is normal or a detector/electronics issue (while my camera is still in warranty).

The Horsehead picture is stretched to be fairly light, and the banding is obvious on the left side.  But even when the stretch makes a dark background, the banding is still evident.  I'll do another comment and include a dark photo to show that
I haven't noticed any vertical banding and I've shot 0.001 sec. thru 120 sec. subs.  I did notice a hint of amp glow in the 120 sec. subs but easily removed in postprocessing.

I don't shoot or use dark, flat or bias subs in any of my astro-imaging.  I've also shot quite a few fairly long subs off an Alt-Az Evolution mount with no noticeable field rotation.

bwa

JimH123

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:25:01 pm »
I too am just in love with the SW.  I started with the OSC which I use for use with youth groups, and I just bought the mono version.  Of course since buying the mono version, we have had months of cloudy, rainy nights!

I would REALLY like to see this SW support other Atik cameras, especially the 460ex.

scpanish

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:05:26 am »
How does one recognize amp glow?

I'm going to try longer exposures if we ever get any clear weather again.  Although now there is a foot of snow to deal with as well with another foot coming tonight.

Steve

bwa

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:44:30 am »
How does one recognize amp glow?
Amp glow is a gradual brightening towards the edge of an image; normally towards the lower left corner from my experience.  It is very well controlled in both the Infinity and UltraStar but can start to show up in longer exposures.  It can be removed by applying Darks.  It is also fairly easy to eliminate in postprocessing.  In my old Mallincam Universe, amp glow could ruin the left third of an image; not nice!

scpanish

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 01:54:06 am »
Thanks for the amp glow explanation.

I likely get field rotation in part because I'm using a 1200mm focal length.  (10" SkyWatcher (Synta) Dob.)  The drives may also be less precise than an Evolution.  In any case, even if the picture is lousy, it will be interesting to see if that vertical bar goes away.

Steve

JimH123

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 02:58:58 am »
Field Rotation is a much larger effect at 1200mm than the accuracy of the mount.  I have the 9.25" evolution and it shows the field rotation very readily also.  I also have an equatorial mount, and I use that mount for longer focal lengths and the Alt-Az mount for shorter focal lengths mainly because it is so simple to set up the Alt-Az mount.

bwa

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 01:32:17 am »
Field Rotation is a much larger effect at 1200mm than the accuracy of the mount.  I have the 9.25" evolution and it shows the field rotation very readily also.  I also have an equatorial mount, and I use that mount for longer focal lengths and the Alt-Az mount for shorter focal lengths mainly because it is so simple to set up the Alt-Az mount.
Same here.  I use Celestron AVX and CGEM DX EQ mounts for "serious" imaging (w/ guiding and all the other bells and whistles) and Celestron's Evolution Alt-Az mount for the fun stuff (quickly up and running, as well as great for solar, lunar and planetary imaging).

Clear skies!

bwa

scpanish

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 01:53:30 am »
And I'm intending to upgrade to a heavy GEM since my main interest is DSOs and I want the focal length. 

The weather here has not been cooperative, to put it mildly.  I managed to get out one night, temp was about 15 deg F and too windy for steady imaging.  But...no vertical bar, whether I used short or long exposures, and no matter how I did the stretch.  When I went to longer exposures, that being over 4 sec, I got a lot of star bloat.  So I don't think my exposures are too short.  It was too cold to do more than a couple attempts, so this is not definitive.  Warm weather has arrived so I may be able to get out and spend some time on the issue.

Steve

arenosa

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:17:31 am »
[/quote]
Amp glow is a gradual brightening towards the edge of an image; normally towards the lower left corner from my experience.  It is very well controlled in both the Infinity and UltraStar but can start to show up in longer exposures.  It can be removed by applying Darks.  It is also fairly easy to eliminate in postprocessing.  In my old Mallincam Universe, amp glow could ruin the left third of an image; not nice!
[/quote]

Hi bwa,

I was wondering if you are still using Mallincam Universe? It is maybe not an equal comparison but how do you compare it to Atik Infinity? Are you still using MU?

Thanks!

Arenosa
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:36:41 am by arenosa »

arenosa

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:41:17 am »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering which filter wheel are you guys using with your Atik Mono Infinity?

cheers,
arenosa