Atik Cameras

Author Topic: How to get Color Images  (Read 3064 times)

Messier27

How to get Color Images
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
We have had our Infinity for a year now and unfortunately have only been able to use it on 6~8 outings.  I know that if I do binning 2 or over I get black and white but with binning at 1, we should get color images.  our 'color' images are yellow heade towards brown with maybe a deep red in there sometimes.  I have seen Infinities color images but I cannot figure out how to do it.  Adjusting the Red/Green/Blue on the lower left turns the whole image to that color.  Adjusting the Histogram(?) sliders just lighten or darken the image.

We love the image results of the camera and everything about it...except some things we know have color and we cannot get there.

Help!

John

SonnyE

Re: How to get Color Images
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
1 is the binning for color imaging. 2, or 4 are what I use for focusing and are B&W, because 1 gives a lot of distracting colorizing.
I always use my Bahtinov Mask for focusing, and have an electronic focuser I absolutely love for fine focusing remotely.

As for your color issues, I really can't advise, don't know.
But I wouldn't sit around, find out if it's your telescope, or the camera. (I'm betting on telescope issues)
Are you using a high quality imaging telescope? Lesser telescopes may be the culprit.

I didn't want to deal with any of the typical needs of various telescopes, so I'm Galilean, I chose a Refractor as my weapon of choice. And because I hunt Nebula, and I consider my telescope as a camera lens, I got a Triple Apochromatic telescope.
Been quite happy with it. And it was about my budget limit at the time.

Forrest Tanaka put it best, Astroimaging is one of the hardest types of photography there is. But it is also one of the most rewarding. I hope I can share a link here, http://youtu.be/9d0292TBMHo
It starts right off with telescopes and astrophotography.

So if your telescope is up to it, than possibly your camera has an issue. But I trust Atik quality. So that's why I wonder about the equipment around the camera.

Reference:
http://www.baader-planetarium.de/atik-kameras/download/Atik-Infinity-Quickstart-Guide.pdf

And I'm finding that tiny adjustments to the Histogram are better for me. Note the settings displayed in the Quick Start guide.

JimH123

Re: How to get Color Images
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
There has been a bug noted with Atik that images tended to exhibit excessive yellow coloring and is something that is supposed to be worked on.  Recently, I started using a Beta release of the SW with the ATIK 460ex and I am finding the excess yellow color problem is gone.  What I don't know is whether the yellow problem has been fixed, or if the 460ex works a bit different?