Atik Cameras

Author Topic: M66, with Atik Infinity . . a very pretty thing  (Read 5794 times)

DaveH66

M66, with Atik Infinity . . a very pretty thing
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:52:37 am »
Hi Guys . . . second post   . . . I just posted on Solar System as well. I have been using Atik Infinity since October 16 and I am so impressed with it and the software. It is astronomy for the impatient ! I could never go back to the DSLR now . . the number of times I thought I had M101 in the frame only to find 2 days processing later that I just caught the corner of it ! Anyway here is a shot of M66 I got in April 17. Infinity software stacked 64 x 10 second images for me and I finished it off in PS . . probably overdid it . . . I usually do . . . trying to get every detail.
CPC1100, Atik Infinity, 0.63 reducer ( i think ), my back garden, West Midlands, UK
Cheers Dave

DaveH66

Re: M66, with Atik Infinity . . a very pretty thing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:00 am »
. . . and here is M64 same setup ( 38 x 15 seconds )as above .. . this is a great target . . so easy to spot the 'black eye' . .

JimH123

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:25 am »
Very nice Dave.  I agree with you about astronomy for the impatient.  There are those that work on one object many nights and produce absolute masterpieces.  But I find that the Infinity SW allows me to see many objects in one session and to see them quite well.  The SW is an absolute joy to use and the sensitivity of the camera is so incredible.  And no problem at all looking at M101 for 15 or 30 min and then on to M81 and then onto something else.  I would think that the majority of users operate in a similar way.

When I look at objects that I might try to look at, just about everything can be seen with this camera.  It is incredible!  And I am seeing much less need to shoot with the DSLR also. 

DaveH66

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:57 am »
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. Yeah this camera has done a lot to revive my interest in astronomy. For 2 seasons I had been trying to get a shot of IC434 the horsehead with my Canon 600D but got nothing, not a sniff, probably because of my narrow field of view I just couldnt pin it down. Then when I got the Atik I slewed to where it was supposed to be and set it off stacking. Like magic slowly out of the pink gloom it appeared ( see attached ) . . one of those moments like when I first saw the moons of jupiter through a 'toy' telescope at the age of 14. Thats another thing about the Atik . . . the colours . .. these things really have colours and they come out without any enhacement there on the screen .. . brilliant !
Anyway, to round off the story, I purchased a Hyperstar lens for my CPC1100 and got ( what I think is ) just a brilliant wide field image of it ( in the reply post ).
Nice to chat to another Atik user .. . cheers Jim
Dave

DaveH66

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:36 am »
there you go . . . not bad for an Alt-Az .. .

JimH123

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:34 am »
Very nice!

harriscmiv

• Learning as we go
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:48:09 pm »
I have to say that I would be one to dream.. I desire to spend that time to pursue perfection.. I think it's going to be worth it if I can ever figure it out..
thx for the inspiraion with your photos.  I have attached my first try of M64 in the Atik One category.

Looking forward to discussion,
cmh
Charles H.
8" Edge
3" ES Refractor
Canon Rebel T5
Atik One 9.0
Skyshed Observatory