Atik Cameras

Author Topic: RGB images in FITs file saves  (Read 3942 times)

warter

RGB images in FITs file saves
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:52:02 pm »
I am sorry for this beginners questions.  I saved a stacked image of M51 as a FITS file and when I open it in Photoshop it is a grayscale image only.  Where is the RGB information saved or do I have to change a setting to save RGB information?  Thank you for the help.

bwa

Re: RGB images in FITs file saves
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 04:32:32 am »
First, I'm assuming you're using a color Infinity camera.

Second, if the FITS file did come off a color camera, you have to debayer it to recover the color.

P.S.:  I've used Photoshop for decades and didn't realize you could even open a FITS file with it; I've never tried.

SonnyE

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:38:04 pm »
I have only begun to use the Atik Infinity OSC, so consider I'm a greenhorn.
But I've been saving the images as TIF format files and processing in Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.
While admittedly it is a lowly form of Photoshop, it was affordable to me. And works for my simplistic processing.  ;)
My PS version will not open a FITs file. So yours actually opening the file is surprising.
I've only recently graduated from being happy with JPG files. But still, Elements has to convert 16 bit TIF files to 8 bit in order to use any of the Guided functions. So I bounce between Expert, and Guided modes sometimes.
But TIF files afford me with all the processing perks, without the staleness of antiquated FITs files. Please pardon my distaste for FITs files.
So my suggestion would be to step back to (or forward to) TIFF files and give it a go. You might be well pleased.  :)

JimH123

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 05:17:06 pm »
There are two products that I use to handle FITS files on a Windows PC and they work really good.  FITS4Win2 allows Windows Explorer to display Thumbnails of the FITS files, while FITS Plugin allows Photoshop to directly open and edit FITS files.  I don't think Photoshop Elements is supported.

FITS plug-ins for all Windows Photoshop versions from v3 to v14 (CC).  Once installed, Photoshop will display the FITS file extensions (*.fit, *.fts, *.fits) as available image formats for 'Load', 'Save', 'Load As' and 'Save As' commands.

http://astroshed.com/fitsplug/fitsplug.htm

FITS4Win2 Displays FITS Images in Windows. Images are shown wherever and whenever image previews or thumbnails would appear and allows full-sized images to be loaded into most of the latest Windows applications that handle images. Like Windows Explorer, File Dialog boxes, Windows Photo Viewer, Movie Maker and Microsoft Office components like Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

http://astroshed.com/software.html