Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Black lines  (Read 5467 times)

theoatc

Black lines
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:50 am »
There is a weird thing going on with my fits.
Every single fit  frame that I capture with atik infinity when I open it with deep sky stacker, there are black lines in it, make it unusable. But when I open the same fits with fitswork, black lines are not there, and the fits are perfect(in mono ,needs debayer but it's ok).
At the beginning, thought it was power issue, since I used a usb extension. But even though I removed the extension, and used the original atik cable, still the same.
Black lines are still there in deep sky stacker, but not in other softwares, such fitsworks.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:57:16 am by theoatc »

dpaul

Re: Black lines
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:34 pm »
Hi

Not sure of your name, is it Theo?

I'm using Pixinsight to post process images. Apologies if the following is something you already are familiar with -
Pixinsight has processes and scripts and under the scrip menu there is something called ''utilities'' then the submenu ''Canon Banding Reduction''. 

I've noticed banding when using my new Horizon Camera and this script works well. Attached is a screen shot showing a completed LRGB image to the right and one of the single frames (luminous) to the left. The middle picture shows thsi frame with the banding, the far left its removed.

Hope this helps

David

bwa

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:00:55 pm »
I've noticed banding when using my new Horizon Camera and this script works well. Attached is a screen shot showing a completed LRGB image to the right and one of the single frames (luminous) to the left. The middle picture shows thsi frame with the banding, the far left its removed.

Hope this helps

David
Is your banding problem resolved?  I would be very unhappy if I was getting subs with the banding you show!!  There is something wrong with either the hardware, capture or display.

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57:22 am »
Yes they are evident from time to time but understand this topic is under investigation with the Horizon within Atik.
I can easily remove it using Pixinsight so its not a big issue for me, I'm still a somewhat novice imager learning!

Thanks

David

SonnyE

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »
There is a weird thing going on with my fits.
Every single fit  frame that I capture with atik infinity when I open it with deep sky stacker, there are black lines in it, make it unusable. But when I open the same fits with fitswork, black lines are not there, and the fits are perfect(in mono ,needs debayer but it's ok).
At the beginning, thought it was power issue, since I used a usb extension. But even though I removed the extension, and used the original atik cable, still the same.
Black lines are still there in deep sky stacker, but not in other softwares, such fitsworks.
Any suggestions?

Vertical or Horizontal, Theo?
I'm seeing some very fine vertical lines in my recent images and found a suggestion in the Frequently Asked Questions, Using Your Camera, Second paragraph:

I am seeing occasional horizontal lines in my image, what is causing these?
If you see the occasional horizontal line(s) on your images and the line changes positions in subsequent images, it's indicative that the USB transfer of the image to the computer is being interrupted. This is most commonly due to other programs running on the PC. Try closing all other programs so you are only running Artemis Capture, then add back one program at a time until the program causing the problem becomes apparent. It's also worth checking that an anti-virus scheduled scan isn't taking place as these can also interrupt the USB transfer of the image.

So I think I'll check these things first. But I would be very disappointed if one of the other programs I use is the cause.
It wouldn't do to have PHD2, Stellarium, my Focuser, or my NexRemote affecting the imaging. They are integral to the operation of my mount (the only two I could do without intermittently would be the focuser or Stellarium.)
I could try an entirely separate USB cable for the Infinity, but if the lines remain... seems there is little recourse to the problem.  :-\

My lines are more of a grey or white in nature. Example: http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2018/1/21/503848-n_nebula_2s_5250_10500s_pp.jpg