Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Will AC Celestron Power adapter work with Atik Cameras?  (Read 7765 times)

Alfredo Beltran

Will AC Celestron Power adapter work with Atik Cameras?
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:18:49 pm »
Hi

I wonder if the AC Celestron Power adapter will work with Atik Cameras

This is the one I speak of. It's the same used for Celestron Telescopes. Since I already have one and don't use it anymore, it would be an option for powering the camera. I hope to buy it by the end of the year (460 EX monochrome)

https://www.astronomics.com/celestron-25-amp-ac-adapter-telescopes_p15285.aspx

Thanks for your help

Alfredo

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
Re: Will AC Celestron Power adapter work with Atik Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »
According to Atik web site for 460EX camera, the current rating is 1A and your AC adapter maximum load is 2.5A. Assuming your AC adapter is center tip positive, it should work with 460EX camera.

Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Astrodon LRGB, Ha 3nm, 5nm, Oiii 3nm, 5nm, Sii 3nm, 5nm
Nebulosity, PHD and PixInsight
Astro-Physics Mach1GTO GEM
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
SXVR-M25C CCD color camera
Lodestar autoguider
Hutech OAG with Helical focuser

Alfredo Beltran

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:36:25 am »
Hi Peter

I'm not sure I follow. Please forgive me if my questions are so basic, since electronics is not my field. If the requirement is 1A, couldn't 2.5A damage the camera?

I read the on-line manual of the 460 from Atik's web and found "The 2.1mm centre-positive DC input is compatible with a wide range of 12V DC supplies". Is there any problem if both the camera and the adapter are center positive?

Finally, the adapter ends in a 5.5 mm center positive female plug. Is that a problem for the 2.1mm (I assume in diameter) centre-positive DC input of the camera?

Thanks for your help

Alfredo

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:46:48 am »
For current rating, it's the opposite of what you said. Celestron AC adapter draws the maximum of 2.5A when loaded. The camera load is 1A which is well below the AC adapter maximum load current and that's good.

You want both camera and AC adapter to be center tip positive. It means the polarity of 12V at the center tip of the connector is positive and the outer part of the connector is negative. This is the most common type and I am sure your AC adapter is center tip positive like the camera.

The 5.5mm is the outer part of the connector and 2.1mm is the center part of the connector. This is also the most common size for 12V.

I hope this is clear. You should ask a friend who may be knowledgeable about electronics and examine your AC adapter.

Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Astrodon LRGB, Ha 3nm, 5nm, Oiii 3nm, 5nm, Sii 3nm, 5nm
Nebulosity, PHD and PixInsight
Astro-Physics Mach1GTO GEM
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
SXVR-M25C CCD color camera
Lodestar autoguider
Hutech OAG with Helical focuser

Alfredo Beltran

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:51 am »
Hi Peter

I really appreciate your detailed explanation. Now everything makes sense. According to Celestron the adapter is center positive, so there should be no deal with it.

To be sure about the size I'll ask Celestron and post back once I have their response.

You've been very helpful!

Best regards

Alfredo

Alfredo Beltran

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:00:44 am »
Well, tonight I received confirmation from Celestron. The plug is 2.1 mm, so it seems it could work for the 428 or 460.

Best regards

Alfredo