Atik Cameras

Author Topic: M51 (LRGB) - Atik Horizon  (Read 4558 times)

dpaul

M51 (LRGB) - Atik Horizon
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:37 pm »
Had the chance to use my Horizon mono camera last week for the first time, also the first time I've ever used LRGB filters.
The attached was taken on a 30'' F3.5 dobsonian with unguided equatorial platform. Pixinsight was used to post process the data.
Each filter had 6 frames saved of 12 seconds, gain 20, offset 20, binning 2x2.

Thanks

David

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: M51 (LRGB) - Atik Horizon
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:48 am »
That's a wonderful M51, David, and particularly impressive for a first light, first time with filters, and unguided to boot! It's great to see you're getting the chance to use your new Horizon.

Thanks for sharing,
Jo

murphyme

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:12:45 pm »
Lovely photo David,

Michael.

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:34:25 am »
Thanks Jo (and Michael),

I've now got the Atik EFW2 Filter wheel and a correctly positioned Baader coma corrector so hopefully I'll get a chance to do a better job soon. So far I've needed to take the camera off the scope and change filters which was a pain. The interesting point is the arc seconds per pixel. In theory I am seriously over-sampling compared to the seeing, circa 0.6 arc seconds per pixel (with 2x2 binning). Yes the stars are a bit bloated but with Pixinsight I can reduce much of this. So if anyone is worried you can't get ok results with over-sampling then you can - better than undersampling.

Can't wait to try some more targets as soon as possible.

Thanks

David