Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Major Issues  (Read 25334 times)

Phil HD925

Major Issues
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:59:15 pm »
Well, where to start :(  Having major issues with the Infinity software using the Horizon Colour.  Constant crashes and image quality issues last night.  E.g. I would start taking an exposure, progress bar would get about half way up and hang.  Then the software would become completely unresponsive and then crash.  Before imaging last night, I downloaded the latest Infinity core software version.  From the get go, I was having problems.  Back to my first night out in early January, I was getting a reddish hue in the background of the image while capturing the Horsehead nebula.  I thought maybe I had accidentally unchecked "auto color balance."  Not the case, considering I was having a very similar issue last night (see attached images).  Due to bad weather, last night was only my second time out with the Horizon.  I decided to uninstall, and go back to the previous version of Infinity--same issues.  Stacking became completely useless, since one bad image would ruin the entire stack.  I finally decided to swap out the Horizon and switch to my Infinity Colour camera.  The Infinity camera worked beautifully the rest of the night.  So, it has to be the camera (or compatibility issues with the Infinity software).  I'm using a modern laptop with a 7th generation i5, USB 3.0, Windows 10.  So, I have the hardware to run this camera.  The Horizon has great potential, I just hope this is something that can be fixed so I can enjoy it.  I was so frustrated after spending 45 minutes setting up last night, only for this to happen. Thanks

Here's my setup:  Edge HD 9.25 on Hyperstar, CGX mount.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:08:32 pm by Phil HD925 »

Phil HD925

Re: Major Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:00:35 pm »
Here's an image:

Phil HD925

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:03:24 pm »
And another one:

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:07:56 pm »
Hi Phi,

I have the Horizon mono (awaiting the colour Horizon delivery in next few weeks too).  Apart from a finicky USB connection which now seems resolved with using a different laptop port and removing a USB extension cable), the mono camera works fine.
I have the latest core downloaded 3 days ago and that seems ok.

My set up is direct hook up with a Windows 10 laptop (i7 processor). My scope is an F3.5 dobsonian on an equatorial platform and Baader coma corrector - no other things such as Hyperstar.

When viewing, I have both the Artemis and Infinity software running. I use the Infinity programme to do the semi-live viewing and set up the focus, etc. Also useful to see what kind of exposure I need to capture detail. Then I used the sequencer in Artemis to capture the sets of frames for doing subsequent processing in Pixinsight.

Hopefully I won't see the issues you have with the Horizon colour when I get mine. How long is your USB lead and is it USB 3.0 and plugged into a USB 3.0 port (some laptops have combine 2.0 and 3.0)? 

Where are based?

Regards

David

bwa

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:45:35 am »
Back to my first night out in early January, I was getting a reddish hue in the background of the image while capturing the Horsehead nebula.  I thought maybe I had accidentally unchecked "auto color balance."  Not the case, considering I was having a very similar issue last night (see attached images). 
I have both the mono and color Infinity cameras with a color Horizon on order, so can't help you much with crash problems.

However, the reddish hue in the region of the HH nebula is natural.  The whole area is packed full of emission nebulosity and the color Horizon is sensitive to everything from UV to short IR so you're going to see lots of the red end of the spectrum.

Clear skies!

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 01:59:29 pm »
Back to my first night out in early January, I was getting a reddish hue in the background of the image while capturing the Horsehead nebula.  I thought maybe I had accidentally unchecked "auto color balance."  Not the case, considering I was having a very similar issue last night (see attached images). 
I have both the mono and color Infinity cameras with a color Horizon on order, so can't help you much with crash problems.

However, the reddish hue in the region of the HH nebula is natural.  The whole area is packed full of emission nebulosity and the color Horizon is sensitive to everything from UV to short IR so you're going to see lots of the red end of the spectrum.

Clear skies!

bwa

See my first image for reference.  That's the "red" hue I'm talking about.  Every exposure of the horesehead was fine, until I got to that one "reddish background" looking image.  That first image is also an image of the Pleiades, which shouldn't have that red in there at all--that object is in a very blue part of the spectrum.   

I'm also using the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (blue).  I tried both ports, same result with my images.   

Iria-Atik

• Atik Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:29 am »
Hi Phil,

Thank you for contacting our support team. I hope we can have this issue fixed very soon!

Clear skies,
Iria
Iria

Phil HD925

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:49 am »
Hi Phil,

Thank you for contacting our support team. I hope we can have this issue fixed very soon!

Clear skies,
Iria

Iria,

Thank you for the quick response.  I received an email this morning with a link to a newer version of Infinity.  I'll let you know if this fixes my problem. 

Thanks

Phil

Phil HD925

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 03:27:12 am »
Tried the new software I was sent last weekend.  I experienced a few crashes during my 3.5 hours of imaging.  I did still encounter the occasional odd looking frame (see photos above).  Definitely not as prevalent, but nothing near the trouble I was having the Horizon on my previous outing.  Using color binning (2X2), or above was definitely not working for me.  Half the screen would show a blank image (top), with data on the bottom.  Software became unstable as a result.  So, the kinks are still there.  I really wish I could do something about the vignetting issues I'm having--I've only tried the camera out with Hyperstar.  After watching the Lisbon live broadcast, there was mention of this problem with hyperstar setups--hopefully the software will get some kind of flat field corrections in a future release. 

Phil

jpops50

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 11:22:18 pm »
I recently had some issues with another CMOS camera that sound similar to yours.  I traced the issue down to the USB cable.  The new CMOS cameras are using USB 3.0 cables which have a shorter communication distance than USB 2.0.  I overcame the issue by upgrading to an "Active USB 3.0" cable and a powered hub. Be sure you buy good quality cable for this application.  The following sight gives a good explanation of the issue and how to overcome the problem: https://www.diodes.com/design/support/technical-articles/pericoms-articles/active-superspeed-usb-and-hdmi-cables-are-longer-thinner-and-better/

dpaul

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
Great link regarding the quality of USB cables  (sorry you didn't give your name?).

I concur there are a lot of BAD USB 3.0 cables on the market, even from well know stores.  I've even had issues with a powered USB 3.0 hub which is very suspect in quality!

David

bwa

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 12:32:41 am »
Using color binning (2X2), or above was definitely not working for me.  Half the screen would show a blank image (top), with data on the bottom.  Software became unstable as a result.  So, the kinks are still there. 
Phil
Yes, I've got the same problems with 2x2 binning.  Only about 2/3's of the screen displays with the rest either blank or full of artifacts.  4x4 binning appears to work.

However, if you see my latest post, 2x2 binning is the least of my worries with the Horizon.  I would simply like to get ONE good image off it!!

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 04:11:31 am »
I recently had some issues with another CMOS camera that sound similar to yours.  I traced the issue down to the USB cable.  The new CMOS cameras are using USB 3.0 cables which have a shorter communication distance than USB 2.0.  I overcame the issue by upgrading to an "Active USB 3.0" cable and a powered hub. Be sure you buy good quality cable for this application.  The following sight gives a good explanation of the issue and how to overcome the problem: https://www.diodes.com/design/support/technical-articles/pericoms-articles/active-superspeed-usb-and-hdmi-cables-are-longer-thinner-and-better/.

USB cable appears to be working properly.  I think my problem may be linked to my power source.  I've been using a portable power bank to power the Horizon: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D2N7TS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was getting unstable, so decided to just plug into the wall.  Made quite a difference.  Although, still experiencing issues while focusing with my bahtinov mask.  I typically use a .5 sec exposure (mean preset for auto-range, in Video mode).  I'll get good exposures of the star and x-pattern from the mask, then get a completely useless image--histogram is then all out of whack.  Makes it really hard to focus when this happens.  Switching to "full range" made no difference.  I swear, every other exposure last weekend was garbage.  Took me 10 minutes to finally get focused.  Never had this problem with my Infinity OSC camera.

Phil HD925

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 04:18:29 am »
Using color binning (2X2), or above was definitely not working for me.  Half the screen would show a blank image (top), with data on the bottom.  Software became unstable as a result.  So, the kinks are still there. 
Phil
Yes, I've got the same problems with 2x2 binning.  Only about 2/3's of the screen displays with the rest either blank or full of artifacts.  4x4 binning appears to work.

Yep, sounds familiar.  I did try out 2x2 binning last weekend.  For the most part, it seemed to work ok.  I only tried it a few times, since I was more focused that night on getting a long exposure of M81 and M82 at full resolution i.e. 1x1.  Very good results using 2 minute exposures (20 stacks total), nice round stars (no guiding).  I really wish I had these kinds of stars when imaging in the Southern and Western part of the sky.  Tracking just seems to get worse on my CGX. Very close to investing in an autoguider. 

However, if you see my latest post, 2x2 binning is the least of my worries with the Horizon.  I would simply like to get ONE good image off it!!

bwa

bwa

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 06:08:40 am »
Although, still experiencing issues while focusing with my bahtinov mask.  I typically use a .5 sec exposure (mean preset for auto-range, in Video mode).  I'll get good exposures of the star and x-pattern from the mask, then get a completely useless image--histogram is then all out of whack.  Makes it really hard to focus when this happens.  Switching to "full range" made no difference.  I swear, every other exposure last weekend was garbage.  Took me 10 minutes to finally get focused.  Never had this problem with my Infinity OSC camera.
You're getting much the same thing as I am, although it does sound like you're getting at least a few images that are reasonable!?  All of my exposures, regardless of length, are garbage!  And I also have had good luck with both a color and mono Infinity as well as an ATIK 428Ex.

Hope to get this problem resolved fairly fast or my opinion of ATIK might change...

bwa