Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Infinity as Guide Camera  (Read 4714 times)

adastra18

Infinity as Guide Camera
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:43:06 am »
Looking forward to the upcoming summer season and trying to plan ahead. Last year I used the Infinity for some basic shots and this year plan to do more serious imaging with a new 460ex. Was wondering if the Infinity would serve as a good guide camera and how to set it up. Do you just run the connection from the Infinity guide output jack directly into the mount - easy-peasy - or is there some software/hardware that is required. Am using PHD2 and there is Atik16 or Atik Gen3 in the drop down menu for camera.

Not much online or in the manual about the guiding arrangements. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: Infinity as Guide Camera
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:47 pm »
Hello,

The Infinity camera has an ST4 port on the back which can be used with a suitable cable to control a mount.  Sorry I don't have any experience with PHD to pass on.  The Infinity does make a very good guide camera.
Best
Steve

Astrogate

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
Hello no name

I use both my mono and color Atik Infinity cameras for guiding and just switch them depending on what I am imaging. I use PHD2 for guiding and my Losmandy G11 with Gemini and do not use the ST4 plug. I am doing pulse guiding which eliminates the ST4 cable, however, both methods cam be used. Here is the PHD2 link (as a PDF) for the manual showing you clearly how to set it up for both methods properly.

https://openphdguiding.org/PHD2_User_Guide.pdf

Chris

adastra18

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:48:51 am »
Many thanks to Steve and Astrograph. You have answered my questions and it is obvious such guiding can be achieved with Infinity both directly to mount or addition guide cable. I also have a Losmandy G11G  and will be exploring what techniques to gain optimum performance from the mount. Still learning the ins and outs of SGP Pro. this all should be for some new and special observing fun.

Cheers

Astrogate

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »
Since you have a G11 I would go with pulse guide for more accuracy and you do not have to calibrate when moving from object to object (I do EAA and this is important for me). By doing this you also eliminate one extra cable. All the best Ada!

Chris