Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Dark Frames  (Read 4171 times)

Matt_H

Dark Frames
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:00 pm »
Hi,

I've never taken Dark frames before as I have come from a 490ex and just moved to a Horizon. My Dark frames are really Black. Is this normal?

Thanks
Matt

JimH123

Re: Dark Frames
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:41:17 am »
One of the purposes of dark frames is to identify hot pixels and to be able to remove them.  If you have hot pixels, they should be visible in the image, especially if blown up to a larger size.  I suspect the down sizing to meet the sites image size rules is going to collapse those hot pixels down to nothingness.

Also, you may be using SW that removes hot pixels, so if this is the case, those hot pixels are going away before you even see them.

I tend to find using a cooled astro camera tends to not have much of a hot pixel problem.  But with regular cameras, they may produce a lot of hot pixels.  Of course, certain cameras and sensors are better than others.

dpaul

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:42:33 am »
Matt

Darks normally don't look ''very dark'' (more grey), what about when you stretch the images?

Each frame should be the same lengh as the light frames in time and the same gain, binning, etc.

David

Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 04:57:59 am »
Hi,

I'm having more issues with the Horizon and have emailed tech support to see what can be done. I won't go into detail but basically the images aren't coming out at all, or sometimes cropped. The software engineer is back in the office this week.