Atik Cameras

Author Topic: DSLR OR CCD monochrome or colour  (Read 4333 times)

Jacobcullen

DSLR OR CCD monochrome or colour
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:38:21 am »
Just wandering peoples thoughts on their astrophotography.   free netflix tech news android 9 Personally i do DSLR only because I already have a canon 5d. But cooled CCD would be great but then again colour or monochrome. Ive don monocrhome planet imagery but i think id just be happpier with colour.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:05:08 am by Jacobcullen »

CraigG

Re: DSLR OR CCD monochrome or colour
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:49 am »
Welcome to the forum! 
Monochrome CCD and CMOS cameras are generally more sensitive than color cameras for imaging because of their sensor structure. However, color CCD/CMOS cameras (OSCs) allow you to take some excellent images in a shorter period of time than it would generally take to image with a mono camera using color filters. Those folks that are interested in video imaging (EAA) will tend to use more OSCs and live stacking software to quickly build an image. That's where my interests lie and I have 2 OSCs. People that really strive to produce the most detailed final images tend to use mono cameras that can take full advantage of the filtering options and post-processing magic.

There are many choices in both genres including ones that are better for deep sky, planatary, or both. Some of these are cooled cameras that would likely give you a reduction in digital noise and hot pixels when compared with your existing camera...a highly recommended option. Hope this helps!
-Craig

bwa

Re: DSLR OR CCD monochrome or colour
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »
Just wandering peoples thoughts on their astrophotography.   free netflix tech news android 9 Personally i do DSLR only because I already have a canon 5d. But cooled CCD would be great but then again colour or monochrome. Ive don monocrhome planet imagery but i think id just be happpier with colour.
I used several mono/color CCD/CMOS cameras and a number of full spectrum DSLR/Mirrorless cameras. 

A full spectrum camera is the equivalent of an OSC astro-camera.  I've used a full spectrum Canon 60D, Canon 7D II, Sony A7R and Sony A7S.  The full spectrum Canon 7D II and Sony cameras out performed the OSC CCD/CMOS cameras in all cases, i.e.: QHY 8, QHY 8Pro and QHY 9, ATIK Infinity and ATIK Horizon.  AND full spectrum cameras can be used for IR photography and regular photography with a Kolari Color Correction filter as well as being simpler to use for astrophotography.

On the other hand, mono CCD/CMOS cameras out performed any of the full spectrum cameras noted above.  The mono QHY 183M, QHY 163M and ATIK 428Ex, even the humble uncooled mono ATIK Infinity, CCD/CMOS cameras have better resolving power and image quality.  However, you do require filters (and a filterwheel or equivalent) to get the full benefit from a mono camera AND it does take a bit longer to shoot your subs and more expertise to process them.

The verdict...  A lazy night of astro-imaging, grab your full spectrum DSLR/mirrorless camera.  Want to appear a bit more like a true astro-imager, setup with a color CCD/CMOS.  Really want to do pro level astrophotography, use a mono CCD/CMOS camera andn filterwheel and go after those great emission nebulas with Ha, Hb, Sii and Oiii narrowband filters or those reflection nebulas and other targets with a full suite of UV/IR, R, G and B filters.

However you do it, have fun in the pursuit of your astro targets!

bwa

P.S.: Image attached is M42 shot with an ATIK Infinity and narrowband filters.