Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Dark circles in images  (Read 4477 times)

Diamond Man

Dark circles in images
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
Good morning,
Really like my Horizon video camera, but I have encountered a very annoying problem.  I get random dark spots while imaging.  I have extensively cleaned both the scope and every piece of glass in front of the camera.  Hopefully my attachment works.

Cheers,

CraigG

Re: Dark circles in images
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:58:54 pm »
Hello!

Congratulations on your new Horizon! Did your glass cleaning include the glass covering the camera sensor? I had some dust accumulate on that surface soon after putting it to work. I used a Clean Air Blower made by Pro Master to blow the dust off the sensor glass and that cleared it right up. Avoid touching the glass if at all possible.

Hope this helps!
-Craig
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:48:24 pm by CraigG »

Phil HD925

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 02:34:01 am »
Rotate the camera body to see if the dust donuts rotate/move.  If they stay in the same place, it's your imaging train.  If they rotate with the camera, then it's either the sensor window, or the sensor itself (not fun if it's the latter). 

Diamond Man

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:42:37 pm »
Hello Phil,
Thanks for getting back to me.  The dots do not move no matter what I move.  Camera, Scope, Barlow, etc. 
What do you mean by image train?
After about two hours of playing with things last night, my stacking would not work any more, even when on a star like Capella.

Cheers,

Diamond Man

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:44:23 pm »
Thanks Craig,
I have obsessively been cleaning things.  Even took the refractor apart this weekend.

Cheers

CraigG

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:22 am »
You're a brave soul! Hope you get it solved soon and get back to having fun!

Best,
Craig