Atik Cameras

Author Topic: NGC 6888 The Crescent Nebula in Ha  (Read 3256 times)

CraigG

NGC 6888 The Crescent Nebula in Ha
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:04:59 pm »
Had some fun recently using a Baader Ha filter on my Horizon OSC. It really adds a new dimension to imaging even with a color camera. This image was a result of a stack of 40X60" subs in Infinity with 1x1 binning, medium gain and lightly post-processed in Windows Photo Editor. The almost sepia tone was created by reducing the "saturation" setting in Infinity significantly. Otherwise, the pure Ha image would be very red. I like this alternative until I have a better way to add OIII channel, etc.
-Craig

vince

• Atik Staff
Re: NGC 6888 The Crescent Nebula in Ha
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:18:16 pm »
Hi Craig,

Very impressive with a color camera! :)

Vince

klaus

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:44:44 pm »
Hello, Craig,

great picture,congratulations.
Last autumn I did some tests with the Infinity Mono with a 12nm Astronomic Ha Filter.
A stack of 20 images with 50 seconds exposure each had a higher noise than a stack of 20 images with 35 seconds each.
The image is a combination of 31x20 seconds B/W with 15x35 seconds Ha in false color. (For Ha too few pictures ... )
At the moment I suffer from the "white nights", it doesn't get really dark (53 degrees north latitude).

Have fun

Klaus

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:07:12 pm by klaus »
Meade LX 200 EMC 8" , tracking mount bild in
Meade Reducer 0.63
Atik Infinity Mono
Bortle Class 5
MPSAS 19.6

CraigG

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 06:48:25 pm »
Thanks Vince and Klaus!

Nice image Klaus! I found the same result with my Infinity...shorter subs and more of them was the key! After some tweaking of the tracking accuracy of my mount, I was able to bump up my subs to 60 seconds with the Horizon. It made a huge difference in the resolution in Ha!

I appreciate your dealing with the "white nights" this time of year. It's challenging enough living where I live at the 45th parallel...I can't imagine how it is at the 53rd! I really can't start serious imaging til almost 11pm in northern Michigan.

Best wishes,
Craig