Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizon or 460EX mono choice?  (Read 6836 times)

CraigG

Horizon or 460EX mono choice?
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:14:17 pm »
Ok! Looking for some sage advice from those of you that have experience with some of Atik's line of mono cameras.

I've enjoyed both my Infinity and Horizon OSCs but I'm ready to make the next step into narrowband with a more sensitive mono camera. I'm currently considering the Horizon and the 460ex. Acknowledging the fact that this is a comparison of a CMOS and a CCD camera and the differences in pixel size, array etc. ,my main objective is to really up the sensitivity game.

I image with Stellarvue APOs ranging from 430 to 750 in focal length.

So, what say you?
Thanks!
-Craig

nitehawk

Re: Horizon or 460EX mono choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:51:57 am »
I have both a mono 490ex that I have had for years and performs wonderfully; and a Horizon that I purchased this year and have only had a few chances to use so far, but is promising.

I would say for very long exposure astrophotography the 460/490 is superior. The only limit I have on exposures with the 490 is my patience. :) The main reason why I added a Horizon is so that I can have a camera that can do lunar/planetary, EAA, and to attach to a wide field camera lens.

It really depends on how long exposures you can take with your setup. Since you have experience with a Horizon, you probably know that CMOS cameras require a lot more careful calibration images. If the longest exposure you are planning on taking is less than a few minutes, or you are not unguided, go for the Horizon. The USB3 is nice on the Horizon, too.

One of the benefits of Atik is that the 4xx cameras and the Horizon have the same 13mm backfocus and roughly the same shape, so anyplace you can use a Horizon, you can easily swap it for a 4xx. The Horizon does have a slightly larger sensor, but both cameras can use 1.25" filters down to a pretty small size.

From looking at astrobin, you can get great narrowband images with either camera. I don't think you can go wrong. :)

nitehawk

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:53:06 am »
Also, I highly recommend the Atik EFW2/OAG combo, they fit together very nicely and provide for a very short backfocus requirement.

CraigG

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:20 am »
Thanks nitehawk...this is exactly the information I was looking for! Although the technical specs for these cameras are important considerations, pointing out how these cameras compare in actual use is really the bottom line for me. I probably have less patience than you do when it comes to long exposures...EAA or versions thereof are my preferred methods for imaging...only because there are usually several interesting subjects to photograph on given evening. The Horizon OSC has really met that goal for me up to this point and it sounds like the mono version will be the best choice for me going forward based on what I'm hearing from you and others. Thanks again for your feedback!
-Craig

CraigG

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:24 am »
...and I will look into the EFW2/OAG option also!

bwa

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 01:50:16 am »
Ok! Looking for some sage advice from those of you that have experience with some of Atik's line of mono cameras.

I've enjoyed both my Infinity and Horizon OSCs but I'm ready to make the next step into narrowband with a more sensitive mono camera. I'm currently considering the Horizon and the 460ex. Acknowledging the fact that this is a comparison of a CMOS and a CCD camera and the differences in pixel size, array etc. ,my main objective is to really up the sensitivity game.

I image with Stellarvue APOs ranging from 430 to 750 in focal length.

So, what say you?
Thanks!
-Craig
I think you probably already know my answer to this?

I had a Color Horizon but after many attempts to resolve a horizontal problem I sold the camera and purchased a Mono QHY 163M.  I'm very happy with the 163M. 

I also know two very experienced astro-imagers that own a Mono 460EX and are very happy with the camera.  It has an excellent low noise, highly sensitive Sony ICX694 sensor which is reported to perform very well.

bwa

CraigG

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:18:48 am »
Hi bwa!

Thanks for your comments.Yeah, I thought you might not be a strong proponent of the Horizon choice, lol! All things considered and with some astro funds earmarked for other things, I did pull the trigger on the Horizon mono. So far so good except for a display issue in Infinity that may be due to something in my computer set up. Working on it with help from Support. I have been able to play around with it using SharpCap after the latest software releases from both companies. ASCOM connectivity seems to be fully functional now and I am very pleased with the increased sensitivity of this camera.

So, what have you been working on lately?
Craig

leahholland

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 10:45:45 am »
Thanks nitehawk for the information. It really helped me!