Atik Cameras

Author Topic: A Picture at last  (Read 14417 times)

Kinch

A Picture at last
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:24 am »
For the past two years I have been struggling to get into this hobby - perhaps using the wrong equipment: an F10 SCT and and an old very small chip camera. Last weekend I was able to put together a recently bought 460Ex with a second hand FSQ106ED - also recently bought. The attached shot is the second night out with the 'new' gear and is simply 61 x 60 sec B&W using Astroart and Pixinsight. I have a way to go yet with even basic processing and also putting my new filter wheel to use. Guiding with the old camera will be my next step on the ladder - but for now just delighted to have picture at last that I feel comfortable with showing in public.
ATIK 450M  Tak EM200 Temma II
Tak FSQ106ED     Tak FS60CB

bwa

Re: A Picture at last
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:04 pm »
Your astro-imaging looks to be coming together!  Nice capture!

Are you using an UV/IR filter?  I think you might have a little star bloating or be a touch off focus but still a nice image.

bwa

Kinch

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:48:17 pm »
Thanks for looking and your comments are very welcome. I will be dropping in for help quite often I am sure, now that I have a decent camera to get me out to the scope.... and hope to make good use of it. I have no doubt that this particular shot may be out of focus if you see star bloating - I put the focus where I measured for correct back focus, then just eyeballed to focus .....maybe 2 or 3 mm from that spot. I am really so new to having a half decent photo on my screen that I went for it at that. (On the SCT I had an electronic focuser and used Astroart to assist getting best spot.....but looking back at those pics I see how terrible they were compared to what is achievable with the 460EX). Now, with scope about  8-10m away from the laptop I'll have to get similar practice going some way or other. And I have to learn through practice and honest comments what to look for and how to improve. To answer your question - no filters - just 61x60 sec subs with some dark frame substraction. Astroart used to capture & combine and very little done in PI to get the final image & converted to JPEG. For me - I feel I have just stepped up from the bootom rung of the ladder......many steps yet to climb; but looking forward to it.

bwa

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:37 am »
I've found a Bahtinov mask and a bright star work very well for setting focus.  I've now got or made a B. mask for every scope and camera lens I own.

bwa

Kinch

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:32:13 am »
Thanks bwa - At first I did not understand your comments exactly or why the stars seemed bloated to you. However, I spent a little more time on focusing and can see an improvement - I would have carried on blindly if not having had your much appreciated comments. This attached photo is not exactly great - only 15 x 60 secs subs - but was a comparison pic for me to check what was wrong with the previous posting.....i.e. I now understand that indeed the original pic shows bloated stars.

bwa

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:50 pm »
When your image starts showing up binary-binary splits (star HIP26939) you're in focus!

Also, you're picking up the base of the HorseHead; nice.

And you're showing a hint of the billowing clouds of gas behind the HorseHead.

And you've got Alnitak's smaller twin...

I've circled a few of these on your marked up image, attached.

I'm beginning to like that 460Ex more and more.  I have the 428Ex and really like it!

bwa