Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horsehead and Flame with Hyperstar/383L+ Color  (Read 9445 times)

eleong2

Horsehead and Flame with Hyperstar/383L+ Color
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:24 pm »
This image was taken couple of days after Christmas in very light polluted Southern California.  I wish I had more experience in image processing.

Subs  50 x 60sec

My Setup:
Celestron CGEM/Edge 1100
Hyperstar III/ Atik 383+Color with a Hutech IDAS LPS-V4 Nebula Filter
Imaging Software:  Maxim DL 5
Autoguider:  Modified Meade 8x50mm finder and Meade DSI Pro camera using PHD Guiding

Processing Software:
Maxim DL
Photoshop CS4

PAB64

• The Cheshire Astronomer
Re: Horsehead and Flame with Hyperstar/383L+ Color
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »
You've got a nice image their. And I would be well proud off it, if it was mine.

Processing will come with time and more experience. I'm still learning, and I've been using my 16ic for three years this coming Autumn.

It's great fun  :)
Paul.

eleong2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:07 am »
Thanks for the kind words,   
the 383 is my first serious astro cam, I have been using a modified Canon XT prior to this.  The learning curve for processing is quite steep and you are right, this is a lot of fun.  :D

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »
Hi,

give it a try to take out the greenish touch, this would clarify this nice image a lot.
In pixinsight you have a function; scnr i think it's called, especially for those means ;-)

Best
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

bwa

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »
You have captured some very elusive photons from this area.  It can be a difficult target.

I do have a question.  Why do your brighter stars look "offset" to the left?  Is this something in the optics or, maybe, processing?

bwa

eleong2

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:44:17 am »
Thanks for the comments Lex and BWA,

Being a newbie at this I have a lot to learn guys, with amount of light pollution here in the Los Angeles area its makes it harder.  I appreciate any help.  I will check out Pixinsight.  And the offset could be the Hyperstar optics and the way I positioned the cabling. 

Ed

bwa

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:01 am »
Ed,

Hyperstar can be a real bear to get aligned just right.  We have a fellow with a 14" Celestron w/ Hyperstar in our local astro club.  He is always playing with alignment, collimation, focus, etc.  But it sure can turn our some nice images when fine tuned...

bwa