Atik Cameras

Author Topic: What is causing the banding? Please help.  (Read 5633 times)

stephen99

What is causing the banding? Please help.
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:09:45 am »
Here is a stack of about 2 hours of 3 minute exp. Atik 420 color camera on a Hyperstar with a celestron Edge HD8 scope. I over exposed the image to show the bands. What are they? How do I get rid of them? If you say flats that did not work and made it worse.

Any ideas???

Steve

NickK

Re: What is causing the banding? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »
Hmm if it's over stretched it could demonstrate aberrations in the optical train that the Hyperstar lensing is creating.

I get something similar with the Pentax, even though the field is flat as a pancake. Flats will resolve.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

bwa

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:25:36 am »
Steve,

Are you imaging with the full bit range of the camera?  I get something similar to this if I'm in high speed/low bit range mode, i.e.: not enough colors to correctly present the image.

Also, it could be Newton Rings; however, they appear too wide for this but...

bwa

stephen99

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:04:42 pm »
Not sure what you mean by the full bit range? I think I am. This has happened before. Just not sure what really causes it. also one other thing. I seem to have most of my images look wrong. Meaning at the top of the image its much lighter than the bottom.. This happens a lot. Thought it was my stacking software (DSS), but tried it in Nebulosity and the same thing. SO its the camera or the scope? Im using a celeston e2dge HD8 with hyperstar and the 420 color camera.

Steve