Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 460 Ex color/halpha  (Read 6698 times)

Valfoss

Atik 460 Ex color/halpha
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:38 pm »
Hi,
Does anybody know if color ccd 460Ex can collect halpha channel while taking 1x1 rgb images? Last weekend I took NGC 7380 (Wizard Nebula) with my 460 Ex color as shown in attachment, 3 hrs exposure with a 100x560 refractor reduced at f:3.8,... I can't see halpha contribution.

Chris

Re: Atik 460 Ex color/halpha
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:45 am »
Isn't the red nebulosity mostly Ha?

From a look at the ICX694 data sheet the CCD has at least 80% sensitivity at the Ha wavelength.

Chris

ChrisLX200

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:11:13 pm »
A OSC (one shot colour) camera has a sensor covered with a pattern (Bayer matrix) of colour filters - e.g., RGGB, when de-bayered you get the final colour
image. H-alpha is actually a deep red colour so only one pixel out of the four is going to be sensitive to this wavelength of light. You will pick up H-alpha
from that one pixel but it will consequently only be 25% as effective as a mono camera (where all the pixels are sensitive to all wavelengths of light).
That is the compromise you make by selecting to use a OSC camera.

ChrisH

Valfoss

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:28:27 pm »
A OSC (one shot colour) camera has a sensor covered with a pattern (Bayer matrix) of colour filters - e.g., RGGB, when de-bayered you get the final colour
image. H-alpha is actually a deep red colour so only one pixel out of the four is going to be sensitive to this wavelength of light. You will pick up H-alpha
from that one pixel but it will consequently only be 25% as effective as a mono camera (where all the pixels are sensitive to all wavelengths of light).
That is the compromise you make by selecting to use a OSC camera.

ChrisH
Thanks a lot.

Valerio