Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 450 for non-astro use  (Read 6763 times)

troglodyte

Atik 450 for non-astro use
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:33:22 pm »
Hello,

We develop bioscience imaging instruments. For a low light imaging application, we are thinking of using the Atik 450. I have a few questions if anybody can kindly help:

1. Can the camera be coupled to a c-mount zoom lens ?
f.e. this one here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404254-REG/Fujinon_HF50HA1B_HF50HA_1B_50_mm_F1_4.html

2. Can the bundled software give live-view image off this camera?

3. Can the bundled software save in TIFF and JPG images?

Thanks,
Mohit
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:38:07 pm by troglodyte »

jolasa

Re: Atik 450 for non-astro use
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:26:13 pm »

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:26:14 pm »
I don't believe you can get a "live" view since this is a still camera and not a video type. With a minimum exposure of 1/1000th sec. - so possibly near live. Additionally the included software would save the image as a FITS file which in turn you would
convert to either jpg or TIFF. There may be some other software out there than can save as jpg/TIFF by default but I don't know of any offhand. Someone on this forum will correct me if I'm wrong.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

troglodyte

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50:21 am »
I don't believe you can get a "live" view since this is a still camera and not a video type. With a minimum exposure of 1/1000th sec. - so possibly near live. Additionally the included software would save the image as a FITS file which in turn you would
convert to either jpg or TIFF. There may be some other software out there than can save as jpg/TIFF by default but I don't know of any offhand. Someone on this forum will correct me if I'm wrong.
Something like 5 frames per second is good enough for us.

If you have a camera with you, can you please check if this can be done... set frame rate at say 5fps (or 0.2 second exposure) and move your hand in front of the camera and see if it comes up on the screen.

Thanks in advance.

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:11:48 pm »
Something like 5 frames per second is good enough for us.

If you have a camera with you, can you please check if this can be done... set frame rate at say 5fps (or 0.2 second exposure) and move your hand in front of the camera and see if it comes up on the screen.

Thanks in advance.

These cameras don't work that way - it takes an image, then downloads it so depending on your pc/software ut nay take longer than that. And they son't shoot in "FPS". If that's what you are looking for then you should instead consider something like the Atik Titan which shoots up to 15fps.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11