Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 314L+ performance problems  (Read 7693 times)

andyo

Atik 314L+ performance problems
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »
Hi I don't know if this is a camera,software or driver issue.When connected to artemis capture I keep having various problems,one recurring one is  the set temp display sometimes switches to power % showing anything from 16% to 100% to temp unknown.
Last night I had it set to -10C and it took several subs with no problem then later I checked the display and it had taken three subs at -38!! (ambient was only 0c this cant be right as its not able to go 38 degrees below ambient).I could not adjust the temp so had to restart the software.Also earlier after a meridian flip I clicked the marker box and the white cross showed as normal but when I right clicked over the image to load the markers nothing happened again I had to restart the software.I have had these problems over a few sessions now and have reinstalled the core software(including drivers) a couple of times but this didn't fix it.
When I first got the camera a few years ago it worked fine.Due to personal reasons I hadn't used it for a few years when ready to start imaging again I upgraded the core software including the latest artemis capture with histogram(previous version didn't have this)and have had these problems since.Any help would be very much appreciated as I am losing valuable imaging time

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
Re: Atik 314L+ performance problems
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:15 pm »
Hi Andyo,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Our initial thought is to examine the USB lead you are using. Sometimes communication can break down if you are using longer leads and this can cause unexpected results (such as you are seeing). Are you using the lead supplied with the camera? If not, you could try using a USB hub as these can be more reliable than connecting straight into your PC or laptop.

By the way, what operating system are you using?

Chris.

andyo

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
Hi Chris thanks for the reply.I thought about the usb connection as I understand these can be notorious for all sorts of problems so I ran a few trials as outlined below.
1.The problems occured when connected as I normally do for imaging, that is via a 12volt powered startech 7 port usb hub connected to a startech 7 metre active extension(usb from camera to hub is the one supplied with the camera)
2.Problem still occurs with direct connection to pc using usb supplied with camera.
3.Problem still occurs with direct connection to pc using  high speed screened usb lead from lindy.
4.problem still occured when i changed connection on the power supply.
In all the above instances the power is supplied by a bench power supply that is also supplying power to the other peripherals such as mount, focuser,dew band controller and EFW2 filter wheel which I have not experienced any problems with.
This is becoming very frustrating as I have attempted many tests to ascertain the cause but to no avail.I am wondering if it could be a software problem as it used to run fine with the previous version of artemis capture but I cant find a roll back version to try.
Another thing that makes me think this is the fact that the marker insert wouldnt work correctly either could this this be caused by a connection problem 

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »
Hi Andyo,

Sorry for the slow response. My advice would be to try the latest (BETA) version of the software found here:

http://www.atik-cameras.com/news/atik-infinity-software-update-and-beta-3-drivers/

There's a chance it might fix the issue you are seeing, but if not, it will be much easier to track down.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris

andyo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:10:27 am »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply  will give these drivers a go and see what happens.Could be a while though as having to sort out the computer with an upgrade to windows 10.
I was running another test last night and when the problem occurred I changed the actual power supply so the camera was running of its own supply and it worked fine,however as this is an intermittent fault more test runs will be required to see if the change in power supply fixes it.Would these symptoms also fit those associated with a power supply problem as I thought that would be more likely to result in black banding

ChrisGolden

• Atik Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:57 am »
Hi Andyo,

I think you might be onto something there. If the power cuts out, then it's likely that the cooling will be affected. Our cameras generally startup with the cooling switched off, so if the power drops, it will probably stop the cooling. The software may not realize this has happened and be left in an unexpected state (leading to 'unknown' temperature values). Installing the new software will help highlight this, as the software will now display a warning if the camera disconnects for any reason.

Let me know when you're back up and running. Just so you know, I'll be between the 17th and 24th of May, but will be back on the 25th.

Chris

andyo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:16 pm »

Ok Chris,
 will keep you informed on my progress have done the clean install of windows 10 and I am just completing the software and hardware installation for the various astro equipment. I will download the beta drivers for the Atik camera etc and when I have run a few tests will post to you the results
Andy

andyo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »
Hi Chris,
just to keep you updated I have windows 10 installed with the atik beta drivers and have tried a couple of runs without problem,
However the real test will be during an actual imaging run which may be a while off as this time of the year I don't get much in the way of opportunity with he long nights and work commitments.

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:15 am »
Hi Andy,

Just so you know, Chris is on holiday for the next week but this is great news for him to come back to. Let us know if you do get some imaging in, but I feel your problems with the late nights this time of year!

Jo

andyo

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
Hi Chris/Jo,
 I have managed to get an imaging session in last night about 4 hours and all went well. I set the camera to -10c and it stayed consistently at -9.9c. I was able to load and save the markers so fingers crossed the new beta drivers have sorted it although would like a couple more sessions before arrive at any firm conclusion.Thanks for your support so far
Andy

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »
Hi Andy,

This is very good to hear, keep us posted on how you get on but let's hope it's all good from here. Thanks for your feedback, it's really useful for us,

Jo