Atik Cameras

Author Topic: atik 383+color only white/black image  (Read 3571 times)

Iva bios

atik 383+color only white/black image
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:01 pm »
 :(hello everybody!
i've some problem with my new 383+color.installation success but when i try to acquire with artemisccd the image are only completly White...if i chenge exposure the image con only became all black.i tryed also with maximDL but the result is the same...can anyone help me?

thanks a lot

Ivan

NickK

Re: atik 383+color only white/black image
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 03:51:19 pm »

Artemis capture 'stretches' the image it displays to you (but doesn't stretch the saved).

I think this probably down to the light level. The 383L has a mechanical shutter. I normally keep my exposures above 3 seconds for the shutter.

What was the exposure time you used?
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

Iva bios

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:58 pm »
Hello!thanks for your reply!i try all the possible setting but the result is all the same...Images are all black or all white.but i've a question:CAn i make a shot in the daylight for example  to a tree? Or its so sensitive and sature the sensor?
Thanks a lot .

Ivan :)

NickK

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:54 pm »

The raw image from a OSC (colour camera) will be monochrome (grey shades). After processing the filter values are then used with the picture to create a colour image by the computer software - this process is called 'debayering'.

My 383L mono not connected to anything - needs a small gap to allow the light through to create a grey shade image. If you place this on a scope at night - you will need to experiment to find the exposure time that best suits the astronomical target and the camera.
For example - I find that M42 and Planets are too bright for my 383L with my scope, however adding a 2x or 5x telecoverter dims the image so it's not saturated.

ArtemisCapture has a histogram of the image - the idea exposure time should be adjusted so that the image does not saturate (i.e. lots of pixels with the maximum value) or under-exposes. The best exposure allows you to get the histogram in the range - usually 1/2 to 3/4 pixel value.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

Chris

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
A dark frame - i.e. with the cap on - should show noise almost regardless of the exposure length.  Artemis capture should show this with the default settings.

One way that might allow the 383 to show an image in daylight is to cover the front with a sheet of aluminium foil with a tiny pinhole in it - making a pinhole camera.

The resolution won't be very good but it should demonstrate that it's working - or not. Use a 1 second exposure.

Chris

Iva bios

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:40:10 am »
Ok, today i try to do what you suggest me.
Thanks for your instruction.
Have a nice day :)

Bye
Ivan