Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 383L+ Shutter  (Read 9163 times)

SNR

383L+ Shutter
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:09 am »
PLEASE HELP!

I just bought a brand new 383L+ from OPT and they said all the shutter issues have been resolved and there is no way to get a camera with a bad shutter issue now. WELL GUESS WHAT?

When I open try an image the shutter covers one corner of the chip. I am sick at my stomach over this. Can someone please tell me what is going on?

I was afraid that this might happen seeing how I decided to buy from a company that is not in the US as far as the manufacturing is concerned.

I downloaded the firmware update program and it said that the firmware in my camera was 3.33 and the new one was 3.27????? :( I just don't understand how that can be.

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
Re: 383L+ Shutter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:17:18 am »
I assume you are taking a long enough exposure that you are not just seeing shutter shadow, at least 2sec?  More than likely the shutter tension is just slightly too tight, preventing it from fully going back where it should.  There's a document out there somewhere that explains how to adjust the tension on the shutter, but I would also contact OPT/Atik support before you take anything apart.

NickK

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:08 am »
In my opinion, out of the box; it should just work (in my opinion).

If it was me I'd contact OPT so they can do a box for box replacement but in the off chance there's a quick fix you could do I would also start with emailing ATIK support.

As an aside - I broke my 383L+ USB port (stepped on the cable). ATIK's support turned around the fix in one day.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

SNR

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »
Thanks guys for your input.

I did go ahead and do a firmware update even though I had a later version 3.33 than was listed in the firmware loader which was 3.27. I went ahead and updated to 3.27 because I was just curious and then I tried the camera again and the shutter opens all the way  ;D .

I did contact Atik support and they say my camera should have came with 3.27 and that 3.33 was for a different shutter system. I dont have any idea how I got a 383L+ with 3.33 but I did. Support said the camera should be fine but to contact them if I have any other issues.

I am hoping that all is well now.

Thanks again

CLEAR SKIES!

NickK

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
Awesome news - looking forward to seeing the first light image!
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

ags in Rubyvale

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:33 am »
Hi, I've just bought a 383L+ from Andrews in Australia and it has firmware 3.33 as well. The shutter was sticking when I first tried it but after leaving it on Loop for an hour it has settled down. I also tried the firmware update and it listed 3.27 as an update! however as it's working I have left 3.33. Surprised Atik have made such a basic error.
I'd like to use my filter wheel which has a full set of Astrodon filters in it but apparently even though it has Ascom drivers its not compatible!! another poor effort from Atik. :'(