Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Can a camera like the 428EX be modified to operate like a Grasshopper Express  (Read 8092 times)

donboysail

I was just wondering whether the 428EX could have additional circuitry added or redisigned to also operate like the Imaging Source Grasshopper Express.  Since both cameras use the ICX674 chip it would be interesting if a camera like this could be used in a dual mode; thus DSO mode and then switching it to operate in Planetary/Solar mode. 

Don

riklaunim

• RkBlog
You would have to use totally different electronics  so from the 428EX only the sensor would be left.  USB2 replaced with USB3 or GigE or Firewire 800. The electronics re-done to offer low gain 16 bit output and high gain high framerate 8-bit output, ROI support... It also would have to get support in planetary imaging software.

A lot of work that would increase the camera price even more... and DS-cam makers can't or don't want to do even a standard planetary cameras (whichever company tries it gets a DS / guider camera :D)
C11 - TSAPO65 - Atik 314L+ - DMK21AU618 - HEQ5...

donboysail

Tnx for the reply.  Yes I realize that there would be added expense to implement both types of cameras in one housing.  If it cost 50% more to produce a camera of this type it seems like it would have some value, at twice the price obviously not.  It was something I wanted to toss out there and see what response I got; obviously not much.