Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Newbie Questions on 460EX mono  (Read 4887 times)

DaveNL

Newbie Questions on 460EX mono
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:26:41 am »
Hi Folks. This is my first time with a CCD camera and I have some questions:

1) Is it normal for the fan on the 460 to run continuously? More importantly, is it ok for the fan to run continuously for long periods? For instance, if I leave the camera running in a remote observatory.

2) I'm used to using a Bahtinov mask and live-view in a DSLR for focusing.  I've tried setting short exposures on the 460 (using Artemis) and shooting continuously but there is a considerable lag with the download process. Perhaps there is some other way to approximate live-view of a DSLR? How are others achieving focus using a Bahtinov mask?

3) I tried using the Dawn software to stack and combine narrow band images (L, O3 and Ha). However, it had trouble combining the Ha channel. There is signal in the Ha channel but obviously weaker than the other 2 channels. Any hints on work-around for this? Or perhaps I'm missing something obvious in the software?

Cheers,
Dave

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: Newbie Questions on 460EX mono
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:02:18 am »
Hello Dave,

Welcome to CCD astro photography.
1.  Yes the fan will run while power is connected.  In our remote observatory we have a remote switchable supplies for all the equipment.  Apart from turning off during the day it can help if reboots are required. 
2. For more frequent updates try focusing on a single star using a small sub frame.  You can monitor focus using FWHM figures.  Focus Max takes this approach a stage further.
3.  I have never tried L O Ha, sorry
Cheers
Steve