Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 383L+ wont connect to USB over CAT5 extender  (Read 5020 times)

DMouse

383L+ wont connect to USB over CAT5 extender
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:45:08 am »
Hi, I received my USB to CAT 5 extender today (ICRON Ranger 2304) and when I connect the ATIK 383L+ it wont even recognize it. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling but no joy. I have also tried using a powered hub at the TX end but no joy there either. Anyone managed to get this type of extender working at all with any ATIK camera?

Thanks

Paul

DMouse

Re: 383L+ wont connect to USB over CAT5 extender
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:38:17 am »
Just a quick update. The Icron Ranger I had was the wrong version. The dealer sent me the Ranger2304-LAN, but I ordered the USB. The difference being the LAN version is designed to work over a network. The USB version is designed to work with a single CAT5 cable between the two devices, and nothing in between. This could cause connection issues on certain devices. I have been in touch with the manufacturer, Icron, and they are sending me the correct version with a programming cable and some software.
It is possible that with a firmware update to the extender that we may be able to get the ATIK camera to connect. If anyone at ATIK can help shed some light on the connection specs for the USB part of the 383L then this would really help.
Thanks

Paul

DMouse

Re: 383L+ wont connect to USB over CAT5 extender
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:08 am »
Well I have some very good news to report. I got the correct Ranger 2304-USB, and I can confirm that the ATIK383L+ mono I have and the EFW2 both connect and work well with this device. My QHY5-II did work but was a little iffy.
Anyway, the Ranger2304-USB is good to run on 100m of Cat5e!!! (300ft plus!!) As I only need about 100ft to get to my astro shed, this is great news.
Icron, have been very helpful throughout, and this product is a great asset to the Astro community.
Now I just have to build my shed!

Clear Skies

Paul