Atik Cameras

Author Topic: ATIK CCD for 11 inch SCT  (Read 5872 times)

menardre

ATIK CCD for 11 inch SCT
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »
I have a Celestron CPC1100 Edge with a .7 focal reducer, and a Stellarvue 90T. For the past two years I have been doing visual astronomy, and really enjoy it. I plan on doing astrophotography, but I have read numerous conflicting 'suggestions'.  I believe that there are a few ATIK CCDs that would match my scope setup. I would be taking pictures withe the CPC1100 and focal reducer, the CPC1100 with Hyperstar, and the Stellarvue 90T refractor. I know that is a tall order. I would prefer to use a OSC since that would work best with the Hyperstar. I know that the photography purists insist on only doing mono, but I am leery of the hassle with using color filters, etc, and I believe that some OSC CCDs are capable of producing very good pictures. I am looking into 314L+, the 428, and the 460. I think that the 314L+ would be a good 'starter' CCD, and the 428 or 460 would be really good 'high end'  choices.

I would appreciate any thoughts from someone with similar equipment.

Roger

Koinonos

Re: ATIK CCD for 11 inch SCT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:07 pm »
While you wait for an Atik expert to respond, I thought a way I could be helpful is to ask if you have any speed vs. FOV requirements?  Do you plan to stream on NSN or for Live Outreaches? If so then the full frame download speed would be important.

A 6 MP camera like the Atik 428ex, can take great photos, but due to the sub 3,000 x 3,000 pixel resolution, you will not be able to really zoom into your photos to take great crop photos before you hit pixilation and zoom stretching artifacts.  So that would take the 314+ and the 428ex out of the picture and push you towards a 383L+ to get into 8+MP (3362x2254) at a sub $3000.00 price point.

Something I find very useful is to use this links to get an idea of what FOV to expect with various CCD's.  Notice that using the link below on M42 that if you choose a Celestron 11" SCT with the 314L+ you cannot get it the entire image into full view.  Now change the telescope option to HyperStar 11" and voila! you can.  That's because F/2 imaging with the Hyperstar gives you a 3x wider FOV, but the low resolution of the 314L+ means no zooming in to get a close up shot since you have very low pixel count. 

So you should make sure you know what kind of cost vs. pixel count you would really be happy with and budget accordingly.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Kind Regards,
Koinonos

menardre

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »
Thanks for your input. It is very helpful. I am just getting into astrophotography, and I want to get started on the right foot.

Thanks again

Roger

menardre

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »
I do not plan on streaming, so download speed is not important. I tried the FOV site. It is very helpful.  I really like to be able to actually see what you can expect with different set-ups rather than simply looking at FOV numbers.

Thansks again,

Roger

javajunkie2121@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:29:11 pm »
I have a Celestron CPC1100 Edge with a .7 focal reducer, and a Stellarvue 90T. For the past two years I have been doing visual astronomy, and really enjoy it. I plan on doing astrophotography, but I have read numerous conflicting 'suggestions'.  I believe that there are a few ATIK CCDs that would match my scope setup. I would be taking pictures withe the CPC1100 and focal reducer, the CPC1100 with Hyperstar, and the Stellarvue 90T refractor. I know that is a tall order. I would prefer to use a OSC since that would work best with the Hyperstar. I know that the photography purists insist on only doing mono, but I am leery of the hassle with using color filters, etc, and I believe that some OSC CCDs are capable of producing very good pictures. I am looking into 314L+, the 428, and the 460. I think that the 314L+ would be a good 'starter' CCD, and the 428 or 460 would be really good 'high end'  choices.

I would appreciate any thoughts from someone with similar equipment.

Roger

Hi:  I own the ATIK 314L+ OSC..great little camera...have been using it with my refractor.  FOV is a bit narrow though. 

Just bought the EdgeHD 1100 as well.  you need to think in terms of FOV ..the 383L gives a bit better FOV for not much more. You may need to bin camera 2x2 to get the arcseconds/pixel resolution at least above 1 when using the EdgeHD and focal reducer.
jeff