Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Used 314L+ vs New Titan  (Read 5027 times)

Dclune

Used 314L+ vs New Titan
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:39 am »
Hello,

Could you offer some advice, I am getting started with astrophotography and CCD imaging.  My scope is CPC 1100  GPS XLT, aperture 280mm and focal length 2800 mm. 

I was looking at ATIK Titan and also found a used ATIK 314L+. Colour ( this is how it's Spelled on label).  I have attached a photo.  The 314 is being offered at $880 which is in my budget right now.  I believe the 314 has a better processor than the Titan so this could be a good

Can someone confirm this is an authentic model and not a knock off?
Can you tell the age of the camera?
Buy this used over new Titan?

This comes with all cables, cd, box etc. and I think it's a great starting point over the Titan but you all know best! 

I am at the top of my budget right now and any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks....

NickK

Re: Used 314L+ vs New Titan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:36:14 am »
Ahh Colour - english spelling vs US color spelling :)

That certainly looks like a 314 - have a look at the front: http://www.atik-cameras.com/products/info/atik-314-l-plus

Usually colour (or OSC) is not as popular with astrophotographers - a mono with a filter wheel is better (personal preference is to avoid OSC). This is because the colour bayer matrix reduces resolution.

The 314 is 1392x1040 pixels (6.45um) so it has more pixels than the titan with smaller pixels.  The titan is faster - capable of 15fps, 659x494 pixels and 7.4um pixels. Both have a low noise sony sensor.

I would try your telescope and the cameras with this: http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Note the resolution for OSC isn't applied in the link. I would, and I know this is probably not what people want to hear, advise going for a mono camera - even if this is saving up a little more.

ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX