Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Vertical band in master bias  (Read 4983 times)

RayD

Vertical band in master bias
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:07:32 am »
Good morning,

I am new to Atik camera's and have recently got a 460Ex (I have the EFW2 also).  Whilst I am very happy with the quality of the camera and the images thus far, I have recently generated a master bias frame in Pixinsight, and when stretching notice a distinct and fairly pronounced vertical band on the extreme left of the image, almost like a rounded border.

I have attached the image and wondered if this is anything I should be concerned about on a brand new camera, or if it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Many thanks.

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: Vertical band in master bias
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:39:12 am »
Hello,

Averaging a number of bias images is a great way of reducing the small amount of read noise to the point where underlying fixed pattern becomes visible.  Looking at the image I suspect the band represents an amplitude less than 1 electron.  Pretty amazing when you think about it.

It really is nothing to worry about.  If you do find this feature appearing in your final images then just subtract the master bias from each image before stacking.  But I suspect you may not need to do this as shot noise in your images may well swamp this signal.
Best
Steve

RayD

Re: Vertical band in master bias
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:01:54 pm »
Thank you Steve that's great news.