Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 420 color question? Help!!!  (Read 8427 times)

stephen99

Atik 420 color question? Help!!!
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:23 am »
Ok I am at that point to finally make a purchase. I would like the Atik 420. Problem is mono or color. I know the benefits of the mono and the filters that can be used, but I also like the simplicity of one shot color. So the magic question is can the color be used as a mono also like a DSLR? This way I can get the best of both worlds. I already have an astronomiks 12nm Ha filter and buying an Oii and Sii would be more fun. Thoughts? Also anything I may have missed before I dive in here. I want to spend my money!!!

Thanks

Steve

Lex

• We do it at night...
Re: Atik 420 color question? Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:57 am »
Hi Steve,

AFAIK the Mono CCD's create less noisy images than Color ones. Monos give you more flexibility in terms of filtering; as you said.
The color version can be used in Mono but IMO not be used with filtering because the sensitivity is not as high as on the mono chips.
Otherwise; why would there be the two types of sensors built in  ;)

I am not sure about my sayings; ATIK Staff could give a more precise answer...

Best
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:04 pm »
Hi Steve,

I have used both OSC and mono cameras and IMO I believe that the time savings is not as great as initially perceived. Since a OSC
has the bayer matrix overlaid on the chip it obviously loses a bit of sensitivity. Therefore to come up with an equivalent image in terms
of resolution, lack of noise and color saturation more time is needed in imaging. OSC cameras love very long exposures to make up for the
lack of sensitivity. As for narrowband imaging, yes it can be done but you have to keep in mind that when doing so only about 25% of the
chip will be used at a time so additional time would be needed to capture the details. I've only done Ha with my OSC but have seen others
that have done OIII and SII.
Lastly, when processing, while it is possible to get good results processing the image in color like a dslr, the best images that I have seen
the processor has always broken down the image into its separate RGB components - so you might as well go for color if it fits your price range.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

stephen99

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to go with the mono camera. I have too many filters to just toss out and I want to try narrowband imaging. I dont mind the extra work.

stephen99

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:05:25 am »
Well this is just a follow up. Been a while. I ended up buying the mono camera. Used it and it was ok. I do not like having to go through all the processing steps for each channel. Very hard for me. I had brain surgery and since then have noticed that Im just not as ggod as I once was. Is what it is. I decided to trade my mono and the 3 filters and getting the OSC this week. Think I will enjoy this a bit more. Its a hobby and I think you are suppose to enjoy it. Since Im not at this point I hope this changes things. BTW Oceanside telescope was a great help and took great care of me.

Thanks.

Steve