Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Why do I have to keep recycling my EFW2 filter wheel?  (Read 8590 times)

MicroAstro

Why do I have to keep recycling my EFW2 filter wheel?
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:55:49 am »
I regularly need to recycle my EFW2 when I start up. If I don't do so, when I try to use the FW I get a message "moving" but it never stops, and when I check the filter list it doesn't detect that it's a 7-position carousel. So I have to go back out to the observatory and recycle the FW (i.e. unplug the EFW2 power and USB connection, then plug it back in). Generally it connects fine after that.

Anyone else have this problem? An ideas how to fix it?

thanks,
Keith

ADDENDUM: Just read some of the other posts, and sounds like I may have a similar problem. I am also using a Win 7 x64 laptop and connecting through ASCOM 6, so it may be the driver issue others refer to. I also noted the adjustment of the spring tension helping in one of the posts. I see a few thing to try to see if I can fix this, but if anyone has any further comments they would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:03:12 am by MicroAstro »

MicroAstro

Re: Why do I have to keep recycling my EFW2 filter wheel?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »
I may have found the problem. I tightened up the motor tension adjustment and it has started up properly the last two times I've tried it. Not much of a sample, but I'll keep monitoring to see if the problem has actually gone away.
...Keith

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:42 am »
Keith,

I hear quiet often reports of misfunctions of the EFW2... All of these are pratically in direct relation with motor tension adjustment!
I use the FW right out of the box and depending on the ambient temperature i sometimes adjust the motor tension..
For the rest i must say that never had problems even tough I have to pass over to ASCOM autorising me to use the EFW2 under Maxim or AA5; i think there is no plug-in available, or not compatible?

Best
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

bugg_tb

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:06 am »
Hi keith,

I have similar issues where the filter powers up successfully and moves correctly the first time then stops responding and Maxim is stuck "moving the filter" with no motor running half the time and I have to cycle the power, did you get a definitive answer or did it just start working?

Cheers

Tom